Boys’ Swim Team Loses to Vikings

Photo of swimmer Daniel Liberman by Adriel Wiedeman

The pool balcony was packed Friday, Dec. 9 as fans from Niles North and West cheered on the boys’ swim teams. There was a definite buzz of excitement that radiated from the stands of the natatorium as the annual cross-town meet started off. The Wolves swam hard, but in the end, the Niles North Vikings came out victorious, winning 124 to 61 on the varsity level.

From the beginning, it was clear that the Vikings had an advantage over the Wolves, winning the varsity 200-medley relay by a mere two seconds. Star swimmers from North included juniors Javed Avdic and Karol Mlynarski and senior Richard Gomez, each of whom placed first in more than one event.

West senior captain Ryan Miller placed second in the 200 IM, getting a 2:07.60. Additionally, west senior captain Nick Giffen placed second in the 100 breaststroke, getting a 1:04.12 and shaving 0.34 seconds off his time from last weekend’s Early-Bird Invite.

The highlight of the meet was when junior Narcis Ardelean scored a 6.0 all around on his last dive of the night, which put him at first-place on the varsity level. As Ardelean surfaced from his outstanding dive, his teammates yelled out, “BINGO!” while the Niles West section of the stands cheered wildly. Ardelean scored a 173.70 overall. His younger brother, Darius, placed first on the JV level with a score of 102.55.

“That was the best he’s ever been,” said head coach Dan VanderJeugdt shortly after the diving portion of the meet had ended.

Although the Wolves didn’t win their first meet of the season, their morale stayed high throughout the night and they came in with a refuse-to-lose attitude.

“Everyone performed well. I mean, Niles North is a great team. They’re placed in the top 20 in state. I’m especially proud of some of the JV swimmers who came up and swam hard. This week’s meet is a good one to have the boys swim off-events, which are events that I wouldn’t normally put them in. That way, I can see where I have potential talent in certain events. Do you know what happened on Saturday? We placed second in the Shamrock Relays,” said VanderJeugdt.

The next swim meet is Friday, Dec. 16 against Maine West.

[nggallery id=116]