How To Get Back Into That Academic Mindset

The start of the school year can be a stressful time. If you’re anything like me, getting back into the groove of things has  been difficult. I feel like I’m still in summer, except for the little assignments here and there. After this past week, I have realized summer is over, and I have to start being more involved in my classes. Easier said than done though right? Well, not exactly. Here are a few tips that have helped me stay focused and motivated to do my homework.

1. Take a shower and slip into your PJs

This may seem like a bit of an odd thing to do, but in reality it isn’t. By taking a shower right after school, you feel more refreshed and more energetic. After a nice warm shower, slip into your favorite PJs and make yourself a nice cup of coffee or tea. By doing this not only will you feel comfortable enough to start your work, but you will also feel at ease and prepared to take on whatever assignment was handed to you.

2. Create a Playlist

If you’re not a fan of silence, play some music to make completing homework less time consuming and more enjoyable. Now when creating a playlist, make sure to pick a song that won’t distract you too much when doing your homework. For example, when I’m writing an essay for English I won’t put on rap songs because then my brain will sing it, and I will zone off. If I want to get my work done while writing, I will usually play Lofi beats or some chill Sufjan Stevens music.

3. Take a short break 

Sometimes taking a break can be annoying, but it is necessary in order to get your brain refreshed and ready to learn more. If you have worked for about 2-3 hours, I recommend to take a 30-40 minute break. This is so you have enough time to take a nap, scroll through Tik Tok, or even catch up on some texts you’ve missed.

4. Make a planner 

Last but not least, to get back into the groove of things, make sure you are staying organized. You can either purchase a planner or download an app to keep track of all your assignments and when they need to be done. By having a planner, you have everything in one place, and you are less likely to forget about an assignment that’s due the next day. Also, I recommend starting out with your big assignments, so you can get the hard stuff out of the way and move to something easy.

Overall, these are some tips that have helped me so far and hopefully they will help you too.