The Niles West Sports Talk Podcast S2 Ep 15  Featuring Mr. Stern

Bollywest: South Asian Students Make a Change

The+Bollywest+flyer+hung+around+the+school+for+students+to+join.+
The Bollywest flyer hung around the school for students to join.

Introducing, for the first time, the Niles West Bollywest dance team: a new club for those interested in learning about and dancing to Bollywood music. Bollywest originates from the term Bollywood: the Indian film industry. Bollywood is a large platform producing over 1,000 films per year in addition to numerous songs and dances. India is known for its infamous dance styles from various regions, some of which include bhangra originating from Punjab, khathak from Northern Indian, and garba from Gujarat. Through the art of dancing, many South Asians are able to express their culture.

The Bollywest dance team that performed at SASA Night last year. Picture found on Instagram @nileswest_sasa

Bollywest was an unofficial dance team that consisted of students at West who performed at the South Asian Student Association (SASA) Night last school year. This led seniors Hannah Joseph and Jissa Joseph to realize that the school needs Bollywest to be an official club/dance team. They then brought this idea to life and began the Bollywest dance team here at Niles West.

“Last year after SASA night, we realized that this would be a good opportunity to have a dance team and diversify our school and bring more culture around as well. I know other schools do it too and they received a lot of positive feedback,” H. Joseph said.

Hanna and Jissa are both excited for this new team where they can make new friends and also practice doing something they all love.

“I look forward to actually performing and getting the costumes. I want to get on stage and feel the adrenaline rush and do the best we can. It’s also fun meeting new people and it’s easier to get along with people when everyone is doing the same thing. Especially last year, when we were practicing for SASA night it was a lot of fun and overall a healthy competition between schools,” J. Joseph said.

One of the SASA sponsors, who is now also the sponsor of the Bollywest dance team, Raj Patel believes that it’s essential for students to learn about different cultures.

“I think it’s important to promote South Asian culture, and have students showcase their dancing abilities and a part of our culture at larger assemblies,” Patel said.

As a sponsor, Patel is hoping for the team to set a firm base for the club, and plans for Bollywest to perform at many events around the school.

“First year expectations are to get things going, good leadership, and that we create a good foundation for the future, hopefully perform at some places like International night the SASA show and maybe even the winter assembly,” Patel said.

Members of the club are also looking forward to having a space where they can freely embody a part of their culture that many other students may be unaware of.

“I did Bollywood dancing for 10 years but I never really got to show that part of my identity to anyone.  So now I am happy that I have a place to express myself through doing something I love,” senior Jeslyn Varghese said. 

Even though the club is particularly focused on South Asian dances, it’s open for everyone.

“Anyone is welcome, it’s not just for people part of the SASA club or the South Asian community,” H. Joseph said.

Niles West can’t wait to see all the amazing performances in the near future!