Girls Volleyball Defeat the Vikings in the Skokie Skirmish

Volleyball game featured on the @nthsd219 on Instagram

In a fiercely competitive match that had fans on the edge of their seats, the Niles West girls varsity volleyball team defeated their rivals, Niles North, in the Skokie Skirmish. From the first serve to the final kill, the girls remained focused and determined to come out on top. After winning the first set 25-19, they won their second set 25-21. The gym was packed with fans from both schools and the energy and tension during the match was high. The Wolves wore yellow jerseys to show their support for cancer awareness.

On the court, the back-row players showed their hustle, providing passes for all three hitters. The front row dominated by shutting down North’s main hitters and connecting well with their setter. Senior captain Amina Dervisevic led the team with eight kills [a hit that is not able to be returned by the opposing team] and three blocks. The team believes their constant communication is what allowed them to get in a rhythm and execute plays. 

“A specific area that the team excelled in during the match was our communication. Connections between teammates were great, setter and hitter connects were awesome, so we were able to make a lot of plays and finish points,” senior captain Mia Niketic said.

This is the fourth year in a row that Niles West has beat North in girls volleyball. The team was overjoyed and excited about the win, especially Senior Xenia Gonzales.

“It felt amazing to beat North again. We managed to keep the win streak against North and hopefully, we will keep it up as we play them again,” Gonzales said. 

The team hopes to keep the momentum going and to keep working towards a greater goal: winning regionals and possibly making it to state. Girls volleyball has won regionals for the past two years in a row, and they hope to make it three this year. 

“My goal for this season is to win this year’s conference, win regionals in 2 sets, dominate in sectionals and keep going down the path to state. Other than those matches, I am excited [to play] Glenbrook North because that has always been an energy-filled and intense game because of the similarity in talent,” Dervisevic said. 

Dervisevic says the win against North has motivated the girls to keep pushing and growing as the season goes on.

“This win shows that it is more than just a volleyball game, it is you representing your school and much more. It made my want to win even stronger because of the idea that the team I represent means a lot to people in our community,” Dervisevic said.  

But, this isn’t the only time the girls will be playing North. A second Skokie Skirmish will be played on October 5, and the team will be playing for breast cancer awareness on their home court. 

“Be there or be square,” Gonzales said.