Opinion: Is It Too Early To Celebrate Christmas?

Once the fall weather and spooky season shenanigans fade away, many start getting ready to take out those decorations. Most people just think about Christmas once the weather hits 20 degrees; however, I think it’s appropriate to officially start thinking about Christmas a month early, in November. 

What’s the purpose of thinking about Christmas that early? Well, I usually think of November as a filler month. Sure we have Thanksgiving day, but it is towards the end of the month, so there isn’t anything to do or think about until Nov 23. This being said, use this month to do your holiday planning. 

You may be asking yourself, what planning? Well, I will use the month of November to work more hours, so I can give my friends some thoughtful holiday gifts. Now, you don’t have to buy gifts, but for me, gift-giving is my love language, so it feels nice giving someone something nice that they can enjoy. I don’t expect anything back in return, but I just want them to know that I care for them. If you’re also a gift giver, but don’t have time or the money at the moment to buy a present, baking is another nice way to show your appreciation for someone or even making them a nice card.

Aside from the motivation to work, you can use this time to plan out what you want for the holidays. When it comes to me, I usually leave the Christmas wishlist for the very end because of all the other holiday activities I’m thinking about. But, start that wishlist ahead of time. It will save you and your family members a lot more time and minimize the stress, so they don’t have to rush buying you that certain gift you like.

I know I’ve mentioned a lot of stuff about gifts, but that’s not all that the holiday season provides. It is a wholesome month which you can spend with your friends. This being said, play some Mariah Carey and use this month to start planning out how your December is going to look like. On my calendar, I will make sure to add some activities like baking, watching movies, and of course, going to the Christkindlmarket which mixes in both fun activities of  getting ready and eating out with your friends. Oh, and I definitely will make sure to add watching the Christmas lights to that list. 

So now, if anyone tells you that celebrating Christmas in November is weird, make sure to show them this story and say, “It can never be too early for the holiday spirit.”