Wolves’ Football Head to Playoffs For The First Time in Over a Decade

Players+stand+on+the+sidelines+of+the+field%2C+watching+their+teammates+play.+
Emma Schieffer
Players stand on the sidelines of the field, watching their teammates play.

This year, the Wolves had a strong start to their season. They worked hard and played well, finishing with a 6-3 record. Their win in the Homecoming game against the Maine East Blue Demons led them to the playoffs for the first time in over a decade.

“To be in the playoffs is an amazing feeling but we’re not satisfied with just getting there, we want to win. Yes, I think we will win and we’re gonna make a run. We have the coaching, the talent, and the scheme to win and make a statement,” junior Christian Guzman said.

On the game on Friday, Oct. 21, once the Wolves stepped onto the field and faced the Blue Demons, there was no way to stop them from winning. At the start of the game, the Wolves scored the first touchdown. The team had 14 points in the first 33 seconds of the first quarter, which led a lot of boys who don’t usually get to play to come in.

“Our team did what we were supposed to do, and because of that, we were able to go to playoffs. I will say, it is exciting to make it in playoffs for the first time in almost a decade, and this team has the right personnel and love each other to win on Friday,” senior John Bae said.

The ability to make it to the playoffs was not just dependent on one game of the season. The team has been working hard all season to get to this point.

“We had a great week of practice, so we kept high energy all week, and it showed at the game. Nobody dipped down, everybody stayed complacent, and they all were attentive in the game. During practice, they were really locked in, and during the workouts with Coach Dellota, they were great. They were always in the weight room getting stronger and that is what is helping us from game to game,” coach Amir Cavic said.

Coaches can also see how the work has paid off.

“All the credit goes to the players and the leaders we have on this team because of the way they carry themselves, the way they are in the hallways, and the way they attend. All those detailed things we talk about, hopefully lead them to see that hard work and attention to detail pays off,” head coach Nick Torresso said. “Being able to achieve something like this and to be a part of the top 32 left in the state, from where we were, is a huge accomplishment.”

Congratulations to the Wolves for making it to the playoffs. And don’t forget to watch West vs. Huntley at Huntley High School on Friday, Oct. 27.