Girls Tennis Hits it To State

Submitted by Niles West Tennis
Submitted by Niles West Tennis

For the second year in a row girls’ tennis has made it to state. This year seniors Katarina Pljevaljcic and Nikoleta Manojlovic qualified to compete this past Friday, Oct. 20. The girls played hard and won one match, but ended their season there.

State was the last time the two girls would play together, so they put their everything into the game while also having a great time. At state, the girls lost their first match against Hinsdale Central, won their second match against Richards High School and although their last match was delayed due to rain, the girls couldn’t grasp the win against Libertyville High School.

This was one of their biggest goals of the season, according to Pljevaljcic. They wanted to qualify for state again, but also win a match, so the girls are happy with that accomplishment.

Pljevaljcic and Manojlovic worked exceptionally hard this season and were an example to the rest of their team. They found ways to stay motivated and keep the season rolling.

“Niki and Kat were among the most competitive players on the team. They would find an extra level of determination in order to give their best effort,” coach Bradford Wilson said.

The girls tennis team and the coaches were also a good support team for the seniors.

“All the girls on our team bonded and we were all friends. Our coaches, Grais and Wilson, were very positive and constantly used their humor to keep the energy up on the tennis courts,” Pljevaljcic said.

As their high school tennis career comes to an end, Pljevaljcic and Manojlovic had their best season this year creating new memories with their team and improving every day. This is because everyone on the team, from the freshman to the seniors, got along. They also had lots of team bonding moments with one another, whether it was a pizza snack at Village Inn, Fun Fridays or dumping a bucket of water on Dr. Grais, according to Wilson.

For Manojlovic, she strives to continue her tennis career in college.

“My goal for next year is to continue both my academic and athletic career. I will be studying nursing and will be playing on my future college’s tennis team. I am not quite sure where I will be going just yet, but I know for certain, that those are my biggest goals for next year,” Monojlovic said.

The 2023 season for Girls Tennis was a successful one yet again. Congrats to Pljevaljcic and Manojlovic, and to the girls tennis team’s successful season!

Katarina Pljevaljcic is an editor for the Niles West News.