Girls Tennis Beats Crosstown Rival Niles North

Farah Albayati
The tennis team warming up.

The girls tennis team won their match against Niles North on Aug. 12 with a final score of 4-3, earning them another victory this season. The team and their coaches are beyond proud of this accomplishment as they’re one step closer to reaching the top four in the conference- a long-term goal for this year.

For every sport at Niles West, there is always an added level of competition when going against Niles North, as they are our rivals. The tennis team gave it their all in this match, which is reflected in their performance. With amazing net play and resilience, seniors Annette Park and Aspasia Kostopoulos played one of their best fights yet during doubles.

“A proud moment from [this match] was when I hit two finishing volleys on the other team. Volleys, in my opinion, are the most satisfying ways to win a point. Right as the ball hit the ground for the final point, I felt my stress leave my body and it was an amazing feeling. Working hard and playing together with Aspasia was so much fun,” Park said.

What’s a match without some competition? Although the girls left the courts with success, it was a well-earned win after playing hard. They pushed past their opponents during a long and demanding match.

“I played one single, which was challenging because I was competing against a very strong player. However, I have developed more mental toughness this year, which has helped me go through each game one moment at a time. I am very proud of how I played to her weaknesses and served very well this match,” senior captain Nora Schmidt said.

The increased eagerness to win comes from both Niles West and Niles North. Our girls were fired up and determined to win.

“I know that the girls bring extra energy to this match every year, and that is great. It is important to us because it gives them a benchmark for the level of energy that we want them to bring to every match,” head coach Bradford Wilson said.

The team hopes to keep this energy up so they can push for more triumphs this season. As they have a close team chemistry, they’re all very supportive of each other and want the best for their teammates.

“My favorite part of this match was playing aggressively and cheering on my teammates when I was done. I was having fun while playing hard, which is most important. I always enjoy cheering on my teammates because I appreciate the encouragement too,” Schmidt said.

“Some highlights were watching our teammates cheer us on the sidelines. It felt nice to get off the court and everybody praising you for your hard work,” Park said.

As the season progresses, the team will continue to work on hitting with better form so they can powerfully hit deep shots on the court. A huge congratulations to the tennis team on their newest accomplishment. Make sure to support your Wolves at the Niles West Invite this Saturday and on Sept. 22 for the tennis and faculty game!