Opinion: Thanksgiving Break Should be Extended

As we’re well into the first semester, all of the excitement around the new year has faded and everything’s all about studying and staying up late to complete homework. We’ve reached that point in the school year when everyone’s feeling drained, especially since the best school events like Homecoming and the football games are already behind us. However, the one thing that everyone is counting down the days for is Thanksgiving break, which will be a much-needed breather from our daily routine.

In order to fully give students the time to reset, I think that we should be given the entire week off, as opposed to just three school days. Although a five-day break does sound like a lot of time, it’s the first long break students will get this entire school year, and there won’t be any additional days off until winter break. Therefore, those two extra days could offer the perfect chance to completely unwind from the stresses of school and return refreshed to finish off the semester effectively.

Also, the two days of school before Thanksgiving break feel unnecessary and overwhelming. All my teachers are rushing through material and squeezing in tests before the break, to spare us from work during our time off. However, I think the rush creates a lot more stress because each teacher is piling on tests, and on Tuesday alone, I have three different tests. It’d be much better to deal with all this after the break rather than cramming it into those two school days.

While I personally find catching up and dealing with exams after the break a good use of time, I understand others who simply look forward to five days of complete relaxation, wanting to distance themselves entirely from school for a while. Both perspectives are valid reasons for wanting a full seven days off.

It’s also important to remember that Thanksgiving is all about spending time with loved ones. That said, the limited amount of time doesn’t accommodate those traveling to visit distant relatives. Even without the days off, attendance might be spotty as many students prioritize leaving early to travel and make the most of their family time during the break. In general, I expect classes on Monday and Tuesday to look rather empty, as many students will be traveling to see relatives outside of the state or in the state.

It’s about time our school considers adopting a break schedule similar to CPS schools and other ones in the area that give their students a full week off so we can enjoy our time off to the fullest.