Meet Christina Kokoris: From Substitute to Social Studies Teacher

Kokoris with alumna Yasmeen Ibraheim. Picture via @heyitsms.k on Instagram.

Since arriving at Niles West in 2021, Christina Kokoris has made a place among the wolfpack as a fun and engaging addition to the social studies department. Starting as a substitute teacher for a 3-week leave, the job turned into a 7-month replacement. She took the opportunity to form many relationships with students and staff, culminating in her being hired as a teacher and welcomed into the West community.

This is her first teaching job directly out of DePaul University with a degree in secondary education and a focus on history. Kokoris, part of Generation Z, knew from a young age that she wanted a career teaching social studies to engage students in their civic responsibilities.

I think social studies is one of the most important subjects because it teaches us about how we got to where we are, but also teaches us and warns us of what not to do and how to make our society better for everybody. So we need to understand why the world is the way it is and why certain inequalities or social problems exist,” Kokoris said. 

In the classroom, Kokoris has been noted by students as an entertaining and relatable presence due to her age, bubbly personality and humor.

I love Ms. K. I think she’s a super cool, super funny person as well as teacher. She makes class engaging, I feel like I can talk to her about anything and still feel supported,” junior Michelle Martcheva said. Martcheva who had Kokoris freshman year for Modern World History. 

Kokoris takes an enthusiastic and unconventional approach to teaching, turning the classroom into a theatre of the past.

I think it might’ve been a student who told me that I do my lectures like I’m spilling tea. So I think that’s pretty unconventional. I deliver information in a way as if it’s in the room even though it took place in 1850. I’m like, ‘It was crazy!’ And sometimes without realizing I’ll find myself re-enacting it, I’ll jump and do the motions and I don’t know why I feel the need to be an actor, that’s pretty unconventional too,” Kokoris said.

Alongside her love of social studies, Kokoris was raised to know the value of history and culture by her immigrant parents who settled in the North Shore. Her decision to sponsor Greek Club and the Muslim Student Association is a result of her early life of Mediterranean influence.

I was raised in a context that really emphasized Greek culture and especially being a child of immigrants it’s important to recognize and hold onto those cultural roots. And I just wanted to continue doing that for future generations. That’s why I figured Greek club is a good way to continue and teach about and embrace Greek heritage,” Kokoris said.

Combining an emphasis on cultural and historical importance while teaching, Kokoris has gained notice from colleagues in her department, some of whom have been teaching for decades.

“When I get to see Ms. K interact with students; she displays such grace and sincere interest when doing so, and it serves as a reminder to me, a 29-year veteran teacher, about the importance of connections with students. As I near the end of my career, it feels good knowing that the Social Studies Department is in such good hands of so many younger teachers, Ms. K among them. I wish her nothing but fulfilling years ahead. D219 is lucky to have her,” social studies teacher Matthew Weatherington said.

Every new teacher has goals for the years ahead and Kokoris is doing her best to reach them.

My goal for the next five years at Niles West is to just keep growing as a teacher. I feel like I’ve learned so much from my students, from my colleagues, just in general. So just to keep growing as a teacher, continuing to educate students to the best of my ability and do what’s best for my students,” Kokoris said. 

Niles West is lucky to have Kokoris!