Kadyn Reid: Seeing West From A Different Angle

Reid capturing a photo

Ever wonder who takes the photos for the District 219 Instagram? The district hires student photographers from both Niles North and Niles West, one of them being junior Kadyn Reid.

As the Head Student Intern Photographer, Reid does way more than edit and take pictures of school events. Besides attending sports events, assemblies, art shows and many more, he’s responsible for creating social media content, managing online platforms, helping with communication strategies and collaborating with teams to enhance District 219’s media presence. Reid has a full plate on his hands, working an average of four to five days a week.

“My work schedule varies a lot depending on how many district-wide events we have. Sometimes I can work six days a week and sometimes it can be as little as two. The work process for me really consists of content planning [and] collaborating with my team to plan social media content aligned with district events,” Reid said.

Reid has made his mark at Niles West, as a photographer and a friend to others. He values his craft and his relationships with those in the building.

“What makes Kadyn a great photographer is that he has an eye for photos that no one else sees; he captures stories when he photographs. Kadyn is a very talented, kind, and caring young man. He remembers everyone’s birthdays and when he notices that you’re down he’s always there to cheer you up,” senior Student Intern Photographer Brianna Wellington said.

Even without a camera in his hand, Reid creates a welcoming environment around him. He excels in all aspects of West.

“Kadyn will always ask questions when he is confused. If he starts to fall behind he will reach out to me for ways he can improve to make sure he is succeeding. Students that take ownership in their own learning is something I love to see as his teacher it makes me happy that he cares enough to go this extra step. He is kind to his peers and does well in group work to keep others accountable as well. There is a lot more to students than just learning and Kadyn’s character is both honorable and respected,” science teacher Maia Gibbs said.

Being a student photographer is very time-consuming, meaning Reid has turned this job into his entire life. He’s present in all areas of Niles West. While you won’t find him in the photos, Reid has involvement uniquely and takes on a different perspective.

“My favorite part about being a student intern is the opportunity to witness and capture everything our school district has to offer. It’s fulfilling to explore the vast array of opportunities available and the wealth of knowledge I can gain during my time here,” Reid said.

District 219 is lucky to have student photographers, just like Kadyn Reid!