Baseball is Swinging Into the Season

Eisen Kim, senior, hitting hard at a game last season

With spring sports being the last sports season of the year, it gives spring athletes a ton of time to prepare. Starting in late October, the Niles West baseball program began their preseason before and after school, with open including throwing and hitting reps and lifting in the weight room.

According to senior Adrian Canchola, the Wolves have a very tight bond that translates to their work on the field. They help each other reach their full potential, beginning with these preseason practices.

“Niles West Baseball has a culture where everyone knows each other and the vibes during practice are always fun. We know how to have a good time while staying dedicated to our craft. Everyone expects the best out of each other,” Canchola said.

Preseason practice takes place four times a week, where the boys consistently run drills in stations and have a team lift in the weight room.

“It builds a lot of chemistry. You can also tell from these workouts and practices how much people want to get better, and the people that come every week have improved a lot,” senior Eisen Kim said.

According to Kim, the team has a collective goal they are aiming for this upcoming season, and they recognize what they need to improve on.

“My goals for the season are to enjoy the season and have fun, while also winning games. As a team, our main goal is winning regionals and we are all committed to reaching it. I try to motivate and help as many people as I can so they can do the same for others,” Kim said.

Canchola also has personal goals along with others for the team.

“As a senior, I look to make all-conference and contribute to team success. Last year was very rough for us as we were very young and battled many injuries, which caused us to be inconsistent. We are looking to make a run in the playoffs with our group, as we now have more experience and everyone has been putting in the work. Be on the lookout for us this season in the new conference,” Canchola said.

Improvements from athletes are showing early on, and head baseball coach Mitchell Stern noticed. Physical gains from his players, as well as increased exit velocity and bat speed in hitting, are some of the effects preseason is showing, according to Stern. The diligence in his athletes does not go unseen. One of his favorite parts from witnessing practices is seeing the leaders on the team step up to the plate.

“They have been amazing, seeing the dedication from the younger players who have bought into a culture and system of excellence. The excitement builds every year to opening day, and being able to continue that each and every day during the season is what we strive to do. Our goals are always to play the game right, with class, and control what we can control.  We will win many games with that as a mindset,” Stern said.

The team is setting themselves up for a great season this spring and the Wolves play their first home game on March 16 against Whitney Young. Be sure to come out and support them!