The Godmother: Griselda

Movie poster picturing Griselda, played by Sofía Vergara.

If you’re interested in dramas such as Narcos, Pablo Escobar or The Drug Lord,  then you will definitely be interested in Netflix’s new show, “Griselda.” Unlike traditional cartel shows, this one follows the story of a Colombian woman named Griselda Blanco and her rise in the Drug business.

In the beginning of the show, it captures Griselda bleeding from the side of her stomach in need to flee Colombia. From there, it follows her life in Miami where she tries to find money in order to move her three kids from her friend Carmen’s house, played by Vanessa Ferlito. In her attempt to come up with a large sum of money fast, Griselda attempts to sell one kilo of coke in a famous Miami club; however, in doing so, she got into some problems with a Miami cartel and got the coke taken away from her.

Although she ultimately ended up leaving the club with nothing, Griselda didn’t let that stop her from making money; instead, she found the guy that took her coke and demanded for him to set her up with a deal. From there she ends up meeting with a supplier, gets her 20 grand, and leaves with a plan on how to become a coke dealer.

As you can see, a lot happened in the first few episodes, but it only got better from there. As the storyline progresses, we see difficult decisions made by Griselda in her attempts to make it big in Miami as well as some revenge scenes in which she destroyed her competitors products because they betrayed her. However, with every great dealer, there comes a downfall. Like the infamous movie “Scarface,” she eventually made it to the top but her ego and paranoia ultimately got the best of her.

Overall, it was really interesting to see how Griselda worked her way to the top given that selling drugs was a male dominated field but over time, she eventually earned her title and got many people to fear her such as Pablo Escobar who was quoted in the beginning of the show saying, “The only man I was ever afraid of was a woman named Griselda Blanco.” Aside from her way to power, it was very interesting to see the mind of Griselda and how she started to lose her identity and her connection with her kids, the ones who first inspired her to start the her own cartel. This being said, I would rate Griselda a 8/10, it was very action packed and extremely interesting.