Senior Spotlight: Aidin Custovic

Custovic+prepares+for+a+free+throw+at+a+pivotal+moment.+
Emma Schieffer
Custovic prepares for a free throw at a pivotal moment.

As the seniors’ last semester at West quickly comes to an end, senior Aidin Custovic puts his all into his last season as a part of the boys’ varsity basketball team. Custovic leaves his mark at West for his hard work and dedication in hopes of continuing his basketball career after graduation.

Starting his basketball journey at a young age, Custovic has improved in many aspects from his level of commitment to his IQ of the game. Boys Varsity Basketball Head Coach Mike Wasielewski noticed Custovic’s dedication to improving, which earned him one of the starting spots at the end of his junior year.

“Aidin has improved probably more than anyone over his four years, he started on the freshman B team and slowly got better and better while going up from freshman level to the sophomore team and then to varsity last year. As a junior, he hardly played but by the end of the year, he was starting and has continued to be a starter on the team. I know now he wants to continue to improve and play college basketball,” Wasielewski said.

Not only has Custovic put in the work to earn his starting spot but he continues to show effort and leadership daily to keep this position.

“Aidin might not be the most vocal leader but he leads by his awesome attendance. He is always there and he is someone I can count on to be at every off-season workout, every weight room workout and every open gym. He is consistent and continues to get better and better by showing up.” Wasielewski said.

Custovic not only works for himself but is a teammate everyone would want to have on their team.

“Aidin is a kind-hearted and determined worker, he is always there to pick up his teammates if they are having a bad game or practice. He is a teammate who is fun to be around and makes playing more enjoyable. He is always on time, doesn’t skip classes and is always there to put in work. He’s quick to give pointers when needed which shows how good of a leader he is. He has made such an impact by doing the dirty work and being a role model for the rest of the big guys and even the point guards,” junior Felix Ortiz said.

Through Custovic’s time at West, he has learned a lot and has put in the time to get to where he is now. He has done a lot for the Varsity team and has learned a lot throughout his four years. He plans to take these lessons to continue his education and basketball career.

“I have learned many valuable skills from playing at West. Some life goals that it taught me was using time management effectively with practicing and balancing school. Another valuable skill that I learned was having good communication skills on the court, which translates to life outside of basketball as well. My experience was unforgettable and overall positive with great moments, which formed great relationships with teammates and coaches.” Custovic said.

Along with continuing basketball, Custovic plans to go to college for business.

“After high school, my plan is to pursue a career in the business field attending college. I am passionate about business fields such as management, marketing and entrepreneurship. I hope to continue playing basketball after high school; I’ll definitely keep it in mind as I continue to weigh my options about my future,” Custovic said.

West wishes Aidin all the best!