Niles West is Ready for Monday’s Solar Eclipse

Picture of eclipse taken by Rylie Gordon and Zoe Pruess, seniors, on the Astronomy Club field trip.

For the first time since 2017, the upcoming solar eclipse will be visible in the Chicago area on Monday, April 8th at around 2 p.m. A solar eclipse, in which eclipse means to block, is when the moon blocks the sun. Due to the relationship to the sun, this region will be able to see 93% totality, which means the moon will block 93% of the sun. This is seen as a very rare event, as the next solar eclipse visible from Chicago is not predicted to happen until 2044. Due to this, Niles West is gearing up to give the eclipse the attention it deserves, as events are in store for students and clubs.

On the day of the eclipse, all Niles West students will be let outside at about 1:30 p.m., during 7th period to observe on the east side of the building. Students will be required to return to their class at 2:15 p.m. for 8th period. Eclipse glasses, which will be provided, are essential for viewing the eclipse because even though there will be almost complete shade, the small amounts of sunlight still peaking through the moon can damage your retinas, without you even noticing or feeling anything.

Diagram of expected view of the solar eclipse and planet sightings on Stellarium Web.

“The Niles West Science department is providing glasses so that we can all experience the [solar eclipse] safely outside, and they created a website with a countdown to the solar eclipse. I am very excited, as I don’t remember the last time I saw a solar eclipse, and there isn’t one for quite some time so this is a big deal. I really hope we get good weather,” Student Activities Director Caitlin Lucci said.

While observing, there are many abnormal things that one could experience.

“If there’s a lot of trees near you, you are going to see some weird shadows. Also, it’s going to get dark, and Venus will be to the right of the eclipse, and Jupiter will be to the right of it (if there’s a clear sky) which is really exciting to see. You also might notice the temperature change, and the animals doing weird things due to the changes, so look out for that,” physics teacher and Astronomy Club sponsor Elizabeth Ramseyer said.

While this is going on, Niles West’s Astronomy Club will be on a day-long field trip viewing the eclipse from a different location – in southern Illinois. From southern Illinois, you will be able to see the eclipse in 100% totality, so the moon will be completely blocking the sun. Ramseyer explains why this is a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

“Blocking the sun is difficult and it’s special where we live in our solar system because there is a magic distance that the moon would have to be in order to block the sun completely. The orbit of the moon around the Earth is also tilted, which is why it doesn’t happen all the time. Sometimes the moon is a little too high or a little too low, so it can’t block it. Totality only happens in certain places on the Earth because the shadow produced by the moon in front of the sun can only be aimed in a smaller area because [the shadow is] small,” Ramseyer said.

The club is looking to stop in either Taraho, Indiana or Fairfield, Illinois depending on the weather in each area, as having a clear sky is ideal. Students are also excited to make the most out of this event.

“Since the next eclipse is in 40 years, I am excited to see it now in high school and go down there with a bunch of friends and just practice observing it with the equipment I have available to me now. We are going to bring a sun spotter for viewing the sun as well – it’s kind of like a shadow box, and it reflects the sun onto a piece of paper and you can see the shadow of the moon going over it. That’s cool and it’s a fun way to watch it without looking directly at the sun. We will also have eclipse glasses too,” senior and Astronomy Club member Rylie Gordon said.

Wherever you’ll be, don’t miss this year’s solar eclipse, and remember to stay safe!