‘It’s Not a Dress Code Violation to Dress Stupidly’

Sophomore Alyssa Guzman on student apparel.

It’s Monday morning in the middle of December. Kids are piling into the front lobby by the dozen to avoid the uncomfortable cold and the rain steadily pouring down outside of our second home, Niles West. In these harsh weather conditions, you would think that students would lean more towards sweatshirts and boots when getting ready for school in the morning, but on the contrary, there are still a few teens that are stuck in the blissful months of summer.

Although it is clear that we are on the verge of entering the frigid months of Chicago winter, some students are stuck in the summer mindset of sporting flip flops, shorts, mini dresses, and miniskirts. Clearly, the main issue is more based on the female population of Niles West; however, it is not uncommon to come across boys wearing cargo shorts and t–shirts.

It’s understandable for girls to aim to dress to impress during their high school years, but the line has to be drawn at some point. When students are walking through the halls with certain areas barely covered, and their legs are practically blue from how cold they are, it’s a sign that it just might be the time of year to switch to jeans instead of jean skirts.

“It’s not a dress code violation to dress stupidly. You have to have a brain on your shoulders, and if it’s 20 degrees out, you shouldn’t be wearing shorts,” says dean Mark Rigby.

Another factor that should be pointed out that some students seem to be ignorant to is the fact that we are at school for a purpose: to learn. My question is, how can one possibly learn when the majority of their skin is being uncomfortably exposed to the under heated building of Niles West in the mid winter?

“The issue is what’s appropriate with the setting,” says Rigby, “kids treat the place [school] like it’s a pool. You have to be aware of your audience and dress appropriately. In a way, school is a lot like a workplace.”

Students who are dressing like they’re getting ready to go to the “pool” as Rigby stated, need to keep two words in mind: perception and presentation. If you present yourself as a good student, your teachers and authority figures will perceive you as one, and more than likely, respect you more for presenting yourself in a positive way.

Some of you may be wondering why you should care, but let’s remember that our teachers probably see us more than our parents do, and, after all, they’re the ones who write our college recommendations.

So, students of Niles West, next time you’re getting ready for school in the morning, sneak a peek out the window. If it’s snowing, it’s probably a sign to throw the shorts and flip flops to the back of your closet.