Opinion: Everything Wrong With Chicago Weather

The weather in Chicago has become quite unpredictable, and I believe it’s due to climate change. Over the years, I’ve noticed winters growing shorter while summers are lasting longer. It’s not necessarily a negative change, but it’s unsettling not experiencing distinct seasons anymore. This winter, we’ve seen 51 days with above-average temperatures, a clear sign of ongoing warming. Although we’ve had brief cold spells and blizzards, it doesn’t compare to the winters I remember. According to a recent Climate Central study, our winters have warmed over 3 degrees from 1970 through 2021.

Climate change is certainly making its presence known in our summers here as well. Living near Chicago offers numerous perks but the summers have to be the highlight of living here. They’re so beautiful and stretch on until late fall. This year felt particularly unusual as summer seemed to linger until the end of October, with warm weather feeling completely normal for autumn. However, enduring Chicago from December to April is a whole different story. The fluctuating weather during these months is simply unbearable, leaving me constantly questioning which season we’re even in.

There’s a common saying that Chicago actually has five seasons, with the addition of what’s known as “false spring.” Currently, we find ourselves at the tail end of winter, but it feels more like spring. These warmer days tease us into thinking that the cold days are behind us, only to be followed by unexpected storms, snow, and even tornado warnings and high winds. It seems like it switches from being winter and summer every other day.

Take last week, for instance. We experienced some unusually warm days, with temperatures climbing close to 70 degrees. It felt unreal as people were out in shorts and summer clothes as if winter were basically over. After experiencing such warm weather, I couldn’t imagine it ever snowing again during the season. Yet, true to Chicago’s unpredictable nature, the warmth was short-lived, and we were surprised by a sudden storm and snowfall that very same day.

Today, the forecast promises temperatures in the 70s, giving us a taste of summer once again. But just as quickly as it arrives, the warmth will vanish, and we’ll be back to temperatures barely reaching 50 degrees by tomorrow. Many people are eager to experience spring activities again, like taking walks along the beach and spending time outdoors. However, since these warm days don’t last long, enjoying these activities is difficult. It’s also disappointing to see everyone dressing for summer during these brief warm spells, only to be disappointed when the cold returns.

Another downside of false spring is the rise in illnesses as people dress inappropriately for the weather. We often see a surge in flu cases during this time, as individuals prematurely shed their winter layers in anticipation of warmer days.

While spring officially begins on March 19th, I doubt it will truly feel like spring until April rolls around. We may continue to experience sporadic teaser days, but the cold will likely persist for the most part. So, I’ll be keeping my winter jacket on hand, ready for any sudden snowy days that might still come our way.