There Will Never be Another LeBron James

If you told most NBA players that they could score 40,000 career points, they would laugh in your face. This is because health, age, athleticism and love for the game are something that peak in most players’ careers during their late 20s. During their mid-thirties they steadily decline until retirement, so making forty thousand is just a dream. Those are the dreams of “most” players; however, Lebron James simply isn’t like most players. He is the definition of greatness. 

Not only does James have more points than any other player to ever step foot in an NBA game, he has also been greater for 21 more years than any other player, which is not even close to other legends’ careers in the game.

What’s his secret to this unmatched longevity? As previously stated, most NBA players aren’t anything close to their primes by the time they’re in their mid-thirties, but LeBron doesn’t show any sign of slowing down. Many could argue he’s actually doing the opposite. At 21 years old with a 40.7 shooting percentage from the three-point line, James is shooting better at 39 years old, as if his shooting has been steadily improving the older he gets.

If you look at stars like other MVPs, like Russell Westbrook and Chris Paul, it is obvious that they are washed. Their production and efficiency have decreased significantly, they don’t have the same hop in their step that they used to. These players don’t have what it takes to stay great forever and now are just seen as valuable rotation players, rather than the number one option.

If you look at James, it’s honestly sad that he still is in charge of the Los Angeles Lakers. The Lakers made a plan for star player Anthony Davis to take over the team once James becomes older. However, it’s still apparent that James’s game hasn’t come close to the point where he will ever be a number two option on any team he plays for. In basketball terms, the man is a senior citizen, but yet he still plays like a twenty-year-old night after night.

It’s no secret that James spends millions of dollars on his body each year, but no amount of money can replace the mindset that he has. Looking at Carmelo Anthony, who was drafted in the same year as James, the former superstar isn’t even in the NBA anymore. Not only is it physically challenging to continue playing at high levels, but it’s also mentally challenging to not give up on basketball, after being in the league for so long. Time and time again we see players lose their soft touch, handles, and even minds (Draymond Green), but James has stayed strong for the entirety of his career.

When James was the same age as me, 18, he was being told by the media that if he’s not the greatest player ever, then he’s a bust. There were commercials comparing basketball legends like Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson to a teenager before he ever played a professional game of basketball.

To score 40,000 points, win four championships and gain four MVPS while having more pressure than any athlete in the history of sports requires more mental toughness than any of us can even imagine. Before James, the infamous standard of longevity was Kareem Abdul Jabbar. In his 20th season, he was averaging ten points a game, which is phenomenal for a player that old. In James’ 20th season, he averaged more than double the amount that Kareem did with 28 points per game. In his current 21st season, James has more points than any other player who has ever played in their 21st seasons combined. I think that it’s safe to say that James blew the expectations out of the water. 

As incredible as he is, James has no shortage of haters, as many people try to discredit any accolade that he archives. By far, James is one of the most hated basketball players to exist, though it has never phased him. No matter the hate, criticism, or even love he receives, one thing is clear: his passion, dedication and pledge to be the best. Those core attributes have only brought him greatness year after year. Never again will we see a player that averages superstar numbers in year 21, and people still take him for granted. James’ career has been so long and so consistent that it’s easy to get used to his greatness, but once he retires, basketball simply will not be the same. 

Never will we ever see a player have 40,000 points, 10,000 assists, and 10,000 rebounds. Heck, he might even have 50,000 points by the time he retires. Never again will we see a player come back from down 3-1 in the NBA finals against a team that set the record for most regular-season wins. Never again will we see a player as much talent and basketball IQ as James. The legend is 39 years old and has said himself that he doesn’t have too many years left in the tank. Love him or hate him, there has never been, and will never be a player as talented as LeBron James, we all need to appreciate his greatness before he’s gone.