Opinion: Fasting for Ramadan Gets Easier Every Year

As the holy month of Ramadan begins, many Muslim students at Niles West have begun fasting. Everyone thinks fasting for Ramadan is so hard since you can’t drink water or eat food for almost the whole day, but I do not think it is that difficult. When I first started fasting I was, I think, 10 years old, and it was harder for me then than it is now. The year that I started fasting, Ramadan was in the Summer time. Because of this, it was harder to fast since it was so much hotter. I was pretty tempted to drink water, but I didn’t. Now that I am older, I find it way easier to fast during this month.

For me, the hardest part of fasting is waking up in the morning for Suhoor. Suhoor is the meal that people who are fasting eat right before sunrise. We must stop eating before the sun rises. I always find this to be the hardest part because I am not a morning person. I can barely wake up for school, let alone waking up at 5 a.m. Although, I do eventually wake up and once I finish eating I go back to sleep. Most people eat pretty big meals with their families in the morning, but I am not one of those people. I eat a smaller meal since I feel a sense of nausea in the mornings, and even though I eat light, I am still not that hungry during the rest of the day. I think this is because I have started to get used to fasting every year. Most Muslims who have been fasting for multiple years, do not have as much trouble fasting during Ramadan.

Most people think that not being able to drink any water is the hardest part, which is 100 percent true, but it does get easier over the years once you have done it continuously every year.

My favorite part of fasting for Ramadan is Iftar. Iftar is the time when everyone breaks their fast after the sun sets. Normally, I would eat a date and drink some water, pray and then my family and I would eat together. I love when my family invites other family and friends to our house for Iftar, or when we go to other people’s houses because it is like a big dinner.

So while fasting is pretty hard, it is not as hard as everyone thinks it is. If you are wondering how it is to fast during this month, I recommend you try to for at least a day. Ramadan is my favorite time of the year!