Niles West Orchesis Officers: Putting the Intense in “Intensity”

Orchesis officers posing together.

Orchesis is a student-choreographed dance company, where dancers get the experience to find their own style and create choreography on their own. They have held showcases, performed at assemblies and even had workshops. The officers are the leaders of the dance company and choreograph a minimum of two dances a season, as well as organize communication amongst the company.

“They pick the theme of the show, design the company gear, and are a huge help each year at tech week,” Kristen Baron said.

There were four officers this year; juniors Alba Ahmeti and Moreen Mercado, and seniors Rebecca Morgan and Niyah Lewis.

When Ahmeti first came into the club, she felt intimidated as one of two freshmen on the team.

“Throughout the years, I’ve grown so much as a person and a dancer and I can thank Orchesis for that. My experience with Orchesis has been so fun. I came into this club only having experience in ballet, and I ended up dancing contemporary, jazz and hip hop. I’ve grown to love all of these new styles of dance,” Ahmeti said.

As an officer, Ahmeti’s duties are to choreograph dances for pep rallies and make sure practices are productive.

“Alba can choreograph and dance any style! This makes her very versatile. She is a powerhouse when she performs. Her choreography is intricate,” Baron said.

Rebecca Morgan first joined Orchesis during her freshman year. Due to Covid, meetings were held on Zoom.

“I’m so happy I joined because I’ve met the best people. I gained lots of leadership skills on Orchesis, through being a choreographer and officer,” Morgan said.

As an officer, you have to prepare music, choreography, formations and costumes for full company dances, along with small group dances. This requires lots of time management skills and organization.

“Rebecca is so strong at choreographing and performing hip hop. Her tone of voice is inviting to all levels of dancers and she has a very effective way of breaking down phrases step by step,” Baron said.

Niyah Lewis is another officer and choreographer on Orchesis. Being an officer requires the ability to make connections with people, and Niyah was able to do just that.

“We were able to build such strong bonds over such a short amount of time and it was just an instant connection that helped us grow better as dancers,” Lewis said.

The role of a choreographer is not very easy.

“Niyah is the boss lady! Her presence commands respect. She is thorough, creative and not afraid to take risks. She is a strong hip hop dancer and choreographer,” Baron said.

Being an officer, you are required to be a good example for the rest of the company.

“[I am required] to be confrontational while staying positive and kind, and make sure practices are run as smoothly and productively as possible,” Mercado said.

Versatility in dance is important and can step up any dance. Mercado can choreograph and dance any style making her very versatile as well.

“She has a creative side to her that comes out in her choreography. When she dances contemporary, you cannot take your eyes off of her. She is a natural born storyteller,” Baron said.

Officers choreograph many dances every year and choreographing is a core memory for them.

“My best experience with orchesis has been getting to teach all my pieces to all my peers and friends,” Mercado said.

The officers’ hard work does not go unnoticed! Morgan’s and Lewis’ choreography made it to the State Showcase this year. Thank you, officers and the company, for your hard work and talent!