Poms Team to Travel to Disney World for Nationals

Pommers pictured performing during half time at the boys basketball game against Buffalo Grove.

Less than a year after its first state qualification ever, the Varsity Poms Team, lead by senior captains Mary Vo, Elizabeth Mangulabnan, and junior captain Evangeline Alpogianis, placed first in an away camp competition and qualified for Nationals, which is being held at Disney World on Friday, Feb. 3.

“We are all waiting in anticipation for this trip. We’ve been working hard since last summer to get to this point. Although we’re all excited to meet Mickey, we know that we have to stay focused on the competition,” said Mangulabnan.

Vo agrees.

“I am so proud of my pommies.  We’ve put a lot of work and effort into making this year one of the most memorable years of our lives.  Good luck ladies, and always remember to be full out,” Vo said.

The Varsity Pommers are traveling to Orlando, Florida this weekend where they will be competing in the Semi-Finals and hopefully, in the Finals against 34 other teams.

They will be competing in the Large Varsity AAAA Hip Hop category. The ladies have been preparing since November, with alumni/choreographer Matt Pumanes and Vo.

When asked about what the team has been working on, Varsity coach Christine Selander  said, “We try to work in a variety of skills and new choreography throughout the year and this takes a lot of discipline and focus.”

Mangulabnan added that she is extremely happy with all the hard work the team has put in.

“Each practice presents different challenges for each of the girls and they work hard to overcome them. I’m really grateful for their determination and dedication to the squad,” she said.

The team’s varsity members competing are: seniors Elizabeth Mangulabnan, Mary Vo, Marie Castillo, Nicole Bonner, Sandra Lee, Nicole Kim, and Emme Deamont; and juniors, Angie Barnas, Alison Check, Ashley We, Dylan Lanoff, Amanda Shafer, Evangeline Alpogianis, Jane Kwak, Daniela Cicio, Tia Tountas, Sophie Sidlowski, and Vera Ratner.

Colene Gibson contributed to this article.