Cell Phone Policy Receives Mixed Reviews

After about six months of testing the new cell phone policy, both positive and negative effects around the school have been experienced.

Some teachers like English teacher Sharon Swanson believes that it doesn’t make a big difference whether students are on their phones or not.

“Students walk down the hall texting and walking into people or things.  It doesn’t seem to make that big of a difference if they’re on their phones or not,” said Swanson.

However, Swanson agrees that the cell phone policy has resulted in less problems with cell phones during class.

“It seems as if I’ve had fewer cell phone issues during class,” said Swanson.

Biology teacher Thomas Jodelka, on the other hand, believes that he has not noticed a big difference on the number of students who use their phones during class.

“There are still students who text in class, there are still phones that go off during class. This all happened before and it still happens now,” said Jodelka.

It has been said that cell phones reflect the needs of the 21st century teens.

“Although to be honest, I think the idea that kids can’t get through the day without yammering away on their phones or texting or whatever else they’re doing is a pretty accurate–and pretty unfortunate–reflection of the way things are now,” said Swanson.

Jodelka also agrees.

“I think the cell phone policy fits the lives of students living in the 21st century.  The previous policy was difficult to implement and enforce because students are so used to using their phones and having access to them 24/7.  Asking students to “turn-off” this portion of their lives from 8:10 AM – 3:23 PM was difficult because it is just second nature to have your phone on and be able to access anyone in your life at any time,” said Jodelka.

The students on the other hand appreciate this policy.

“I love the new cell phone policy. This way I can talk to my friends the entire school day without having to track them down in the hallway. I can just wait till passing period to text them rather than having to sneak text under my desk,” said sophomore Amanda Muir.

Sophomore Armeen Sayani agrees.

“I think the new cell phone policy is pretty awesome. I can have my phone out during passing periods without worrying about having it confiscated. Sometimes I need to communicate with my friends or parents during school, so it’s pretty convenient for me to just take my phone out in the five minutes between classes to shoot one of my friends or my mom a text to ask them a question or something. Personally, the new policy has been nothing but useful to me!” said Sayani.
The dean of students Mark Rigby also believes that this was a good policy to enforce.
“I think it was a good way to give students freedom. It’s a harmless, and common-sense policy,” said Rigby.