Sam Chao Advances to State Poetry Out Loud Competition

Sam Chao at poetry out loud

Senior Sam Chao, who won second place in the suburban school regionals Poetry Out Loud competition for her poems “More Lies” by Karrin Gottshall and “The Legend” by Garrett Hongo, will be advancing to State, which will be held March 29 in Springfield, IL.

Chao was runner-up in the school Poetry Out Loud competition, but she was able to advance to the regionals in place of the winner senior Lauren Langer, who was unable to attend. This is Chao’s second time going to State. In 2010, when Chao was a sophomore, she won the regional competition and advanced to the State.

“I tried not to expect anything. Lightning doesn’t strike twice, so I was really happy to go to State,” Chao said.

English teachers Tamara Jaffe and Paul Wack were present at the regionals competition and were able to support Chao during her competition. They are pleased about her going to State, and are also very glad that students have participated in a Poetry Out Loud competition, regardless of whether or not they went to regionals.

“Mr. Wack and I are proud of all of the students who memorized and recited poetry for our school, and we are very excited that Sam is advancing to State,” Jaffe said.
[mp3-jplayer tracks=”The Legend@http://wordpress.niles-hs.k12.il.us/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/sam.mp3″ captions=”read by Sam Chao;reClock”]