Niles West Celebrates National Library Week

After being postponed from the week of April 9, Niles West will be hosting its annual National Library Week the week of April 16.

According to media specialist in the IRC Sherry Baehr, National Library Week is set up by the American Library Association to bring much needed attention to libraries. Many different events will be taking place this week to celebrate National Library Week.

“National Library Week is an opportunity to remind students what the IRC means to everyone in the school. Having the theatre students in the IRC to perform their “book to play” is an amazing opportunity for the students to showcase their talents and for the school to see the connections that books make in all our lives,” said Baehr.

On Tuesday, students, teachers, and staff members are invited to come to the IRC to eat cake and sign book plates. On Thursday, fine-arts and drama instructor Andy Sinclair’s Advanced Theatre Studio students will be performing a part of their stage adaptation of the novel “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” by Stephen Chbosky. On Thursday, during period 4 ,5, 7,and 8 students will perform and discuss their experiences with the audience. On Friday, the IRC plans to  hold a bingo day.

Baehr also believes that this is a great opportunity to show the students that the IRC appreciates them.

“National Library Week is also a time to bring teachers and students together in the IRC, such as Bingo Day. We want students to have positive feelings about the IRC and know that we appreciate them,” said Baehr.

Sophomore Asiya Fatima thinks this is a good opportunity because it shows that reading is important.

“Yeah, [I think it’s important] because it shows that reading is important, and library’s do everything there is to making reading important,” said Fatima.

Sophomore Barbara Magiera also believes this is a good way to appreciate our libraries.

“For someone like me, who’s really into reading books, it’s nothing new, but I like the idea that we get to give libraries props for providing all of us with books we’d otherwise have to pay a lot of money for. They deserve it,” said Magiera.