The Alumni Blog: ‘Answer Questions and Question Answers’

Currently, I am teaching at a school called Language Clubs International Academy in Seoul Korea.  My job consists of teaching English to Korean kindergarten and elementary students.  I also conduct one-on-one English tutoring and facilitate a book club.  Going abroad to teach English is one of the best decisions I have ever made.  I work with friendly people who are from all over the world.   Not only do I enjoy living in one of the biggest cities in the world, I also enjoy my job as an English teacher.    My advice for high school and college students is to go abroad and teach English in a country that interests them.  As for right now, I will be in Korea for about a year, and I plan on traveling through China, Japan and Southeast Asia.  One of America’s most valuable exports is the English language.  I recommend taking full advantage of it and exploring the world.

After I graduated from college and had a year of graduate school, I was fortunate enough to teach and coach at Niles West High School.  I could not ask for a better job than teaching in the Special Education Department and Academic Achievement Center at my old high school.  In the Special Education Department, I taught courses in math, history, English and health.  In the summer of 2010, I taught world history and US history at Niles Central, which was also an excellent experience.   As a teacher, some of the most rewarding moments at West were coaching a successful track and field team, making genuine friendships with former teachers, and intellectually challenging my students.

In 2008, I graduated from Michigan State University.  As a proud Spartan, I studied elementary education, special education and English.  To me, I thought college was bitter sweet.  It was bitter because I occasionally thought I was not getting my money’s worth in terms of education and professors.   Going to a popular Big Ten school was also exciting because I experienced two Final Fours, a National Championship in Hockey, and I had football tickets every year that I attended MSU. As for choosing a college, no matter where you go, the best education you will get is by having a library card and an ambition.

In terms of picking a major to study, I have one piece of solid advice.   If you do not plan on attending graduate school immediately after you are done with your Bachelors degree, I highly recommend you choosing a major that is practical and logical.   I would advise you on choosing a Bachelors degree that will get you a job in the near future.   Conduct some research and discover fields that have a lot of opportunities for employment.  I have a number of friends who majored in degrees who have no job market, and they are unemployed.   Lastly, a degree from a college should not define you as a person, employee, and citizen.   Back at Niles West, I had a little saying that I told to a few students.  I would tell them in order to advance your education, you should be prepared to answer questions and question answers.

Steve’s Bio:

Graduated from NW:  2004

Graduated from Michigan State University:  2008, BA Special Education, Elementary Education and a minor in English

Currently work as an English teacher for LCI Academy in Seoul Korea

Favorite Part of NW:  I love everything about West: the sports, teachers, coaches and friends.