Girls’ Swim Team Falls Short at Northside

After a victory over the Northside College Prep Mustangs last year, the girls’ swim team was hoping for a win to start off their season. Unfortunately, the girls fell short and lost the meet on the freshman (67-85) and JV (62-106) levels. Varsity won by a narrow margin of two points (94-92), but it still wasn’t enough to start the season off with a win.

The meet started off a bit shaky, as both the freshman and JV teams finished second and third in the 200 medley relay. The team of junior Edan Scott, sophomore Emma Helgeson, freshman Lauren Patt, and junior Maddie Wozny came back and took first in the varsity relay with a time of 2:00.09, 6.31 seconds before Northside’s best team finished. Sophomore Sam Cachila also secured a first-place finish in the 200 freestyle with a time of 2:18.96. Niles West had two more first-place finishes from Scott and sophomore Abby Hegberg, who swam the 100 fly. Other than that, the girls finished second or third in their events. It seemed like the effort was there, but the times just weren’t good enough to beat the Mustangs.

“I think the meet went pretty well. It was a really tight meet, though. I think we should have participated a little more, but at least we all swam well as individuals,” said junior Jessica Donada.