Triple Threat: The Vujovich Sisters

The Vujovich triplets: (from left) Sondra, Melanie, and Riana.

On May 16, 1995, the life of Bob Vujovich, head of the attendance office, changed forever.

“They told us we were having triplets, and we kind of just walked out stunned,” he said. “I told my dad, and he thought I was kidding. We wanted to start a family, but we never thought it would happen to us.”

Vujovich’s family has three sets of multiples, and his wife’s side has one set. The fact that  Sondra, Melanie, and Riana Vujovich all came out together is really no surprise.

If you didn’t know the three, you would never guess that they’re sisters. The three are all extremely different and unique in their own ways.

Sondra is described by her sisters as “dramatic,” while Riana is “loud,” and Melanie is “quiet and laid back.”

Vujovich agrees that they’re different.

“They all have completely different interests and friends. It started at a young age when they started to develop their own identities in about sixth or seventh grade. I think they got tired of [being grouped together].”

It was hard to find a common interest among them. The closest one is probably that Riana and Sondra share the same favorite color – pink- while Melanie’s is green. Besides that, and the fact that they’re all interested in attending Bowling Green University, the girls are polar opposites. However, they do have a tendency to all join in when one is talking and intervene with each other’s sentences, so it’s hard to tell who is saying what.

“A lot of people notice that we’re all opposites… we’ll have 10 minute fights and then be fine,” they said.

Despite their differences, each one has her own talent. Riana has been a practicing artist since 1st grade. Melanie is an athlete; she’s played volleyball since freshman year. Sondra is the singer; she’s been a member of High Fidelity since sophomore year. The girls’ different interests will follow them even after Niles West, when the three will more than likely attend different colleges. They all seem to be in agreement that they will be attending colleges a few hours away.

“We have a lot of fun together, and revisiting will be very happy [for us]. We’ll have a lot to talk about and catch up on,” they said.

The three admit that they are really close and that they tell each other everything, so the transition may be hard for them, especially since they “bond over their likes and dislikes.” They have always defended each other when needed.

“I’ve raised them to always know that family is first,” Vujovich said.

Vujovich admits that it will be strange when his daughters leave.

“The house will be empty and quiet, and I think it’s natural to worry more about girls than guys. I’ll miss them and I’ll worry… but I’m retiring this year, so I’ll be graduating with them,” he said. “It’s a lot of work, but a lot of fun.”