2012 Girls’ Gymnastics Preview

2012 Girls Gymnastics Preview

With the girl’s gymnastics season coming up, the NWN had a chance to interview head coach Susan Arcus to get a preview on what the season might hold.

NWN: Give us a recap on last season. What went well, and what could have gone better?

Arcus: “Last season was great. Our team score was one of the highest we have ever received. The only thing I would change is having the girls be a bit healthier. We had lots of aches and pains. Other than that, it was a fantastic year.”

NWN: How does the team look this year? What’s changed?

Arcus: “This year’s group is young with only 4 seniors. Senior Sirene Ramahi just had ACL surgery and cannot compete at all this year. However, she is our captain and an amazing leader and helper in the gym. Senior Francesca Gagliano is a bars specialist. Senior Alison Stangel is a bars and vault specialist. Senior Nicholle Fourkas is a varsity all-arounder. Her strongest events are beam and floor. The rest of our varsity includes junior Valerie Fung, sophomore Catherine Steegmueller, junior Tiffany Bugara, junior Emily Suarez, and freshman Piper Farrell.”

NWN: What are some of the team’s strengths and weaknesses?

Arcus: “I think our team’s strength is the amazing women on the team. They are extremely supportive of each other and work together well as a team. We truly enjoy ourselves on the team and learn from each other daily. Our only weakness is injuries- which happens to all gymnastics teams.”

NWN: What is the team aiming for? What are some of the goals?

Arcus: “Our goal is to improve each meet. We want to add new tricks and perfect skills each week. We strive to support our teammates and become stronger and more confident women each and every day.”