Annual Holiday Choir Concert To Be Directed by Substitute

Students pictured rehearsing for one of their performances.

The Niles West choirs and substitute director Ann Epsel are scheduled to perform in the annual Holiday Choir Concert on Sunday, Dec. 16 at 3 p.m. in the Robert L. Johnson Auditorium.

This year, choir director Amy Branahl was absent for rehearsals of the holiday concert due to maternity leave, but she’s looking forward to see how the choirs have been doing without her.

“I miss everyone in the [Niles West] choir program and [I’m] eager to hear how much each choir has grown in absence,” Branahl said.

Despite Branahl’s absence, Epsen’s efforts to step up are appreciated.

“Ms. Espel has been the greatest sub ever,”  junior Maria Sarantopoulos said. “[Chamber’s Choir] had a bonding night last week, and she was playing Hide and Seek with us.”

“Aside from being super fun, Ms. Espel is great at what she does, and she helped [the choirs] get so much better,” says senior Mary Mando.

“I’m so thankful to Ms. Ann Espel  for subbing for me and freeing me up to be with my sons at this important time,” said Branahl said.

Like every year, all four choirs–Women’s, Men’s, Chamber’s, and Master’s–,the extra curricular groups of Guys and Dolls, High Fidelity, and Echo Effect, and the second-year-running club of Gospel Choir will be performing classical tunes such as “Let There Be Peace,” to pop carols like “Candy Cane Lane.”

“I’m very excited for this concert, because throughout the years that I’ve been in choir, I think this is the best ensemble yet,” Mando said.

“I love the songs that have been chosen this year,” Sarantopoulos said. “[All genres] are fun.”

Dessert will be served after the concert.