Get to Know the New Principal: Dr. Jason Ness

As we transition ourselves back to school mode, new principal, Dr. Jason Ness, gets ready to take on the new challenges and the overall vibe of Niles West. The NWN sat down with Dr. Ness to learn more about our new principal.

NWN: Before you became principal, where did you work and what did you do?

Ness: Before becoming principal this year, I worked at Niles North in 1999 as a psychologist for eight years. Then, I was principal at Niles Central School for two years. My last position before principal was assistant principal of student services for four years.

NWN: Where did you grow up and what schools did you attend?

Ness: I grew up on the south side of Chicago. I attended high school at Brother Rice, which is on the south side. I received my undergraduate at Southern Illinois in Carbondale. Finally I received my PhD from the school of psychology at Loyola University.

NWN: Other than working in the district, have you or do you do anything outside of school with psychology?

Ness: I am licensed not only in school psychology, but also I am a licensed clinical psychologist. I completed my last evaluation a few weeks ago in my private practice. Moving forward, my sole priority is being principal at Niles West. I may do some consultative work with parents as needed.

NWN: Through your private practice, what kinds of people have you assisted?

Ness: I have helped people as young as four years old and a wide variety of families. I have also helped adults suffering from Alzheimer disease and dementia as well. Some of the clients I have helped have really been through some tough times, and I often think that if I were put in their situation, I may not be as strong as they are. But, I think it is really neat to see overwhelmed people pull themselves together and become able to properly deal with whatever it is they are dealing with. It feels really good to know that I was a part of helping them through their situations.

NWN: Why psychology? What interests you about psychology?

Ness: People really interest me. I love learning how people think, how they behave, and why they do the things they do. I really enjoy being providing assistance for those who need it because I get a lot of satisfaction out of it. I try my best to be an advocate to these people in need and help them in any way I possibly can.

NWN: What are you most looking forward to this year?

Ness: I am really looking forward to meeting as many students and parents as possible. I not only want to see students exceed in the classroom, but outside of the classroom as well. This will be my fifteenth year in the district and I’m very excited to be able to get out of my office and see the sports teams, clubs and other activities perform at their highest.

NWN: What made you want to become the principal of Niles West?

Ness: I took on this role as principal because of the increase in people interaction and I love working with my staff. More importantly, I took on this role so that I could have an impact on students’ futures. I want students to find new challenges and be able to overcome them. By becoming principal, I am now able to reach my hands into a variety of different places, for example all of the clubs our school has to offer. I also like being busy, and becoming principal is probably one job that will keep me busy.

NWN: What priorities do you have for this coming year?

Ness: Like most schools, the focus is on teaching students, and preparing them for their future. I would like to see every student this year reach their potential. They spend four years here preparing for what comes next, adulthood, and I feel Niles West is able to assist in this process. I would also like to have some student ownership where student’s voices can be heard. Decisions are always made by the administrative, but most of the decisions involve the lives of students. I strongly feel that students should be a part of the decision making process, part of the impact.

NWN: Are there any changes you plan on enforcing this year, besides the new ID policy?

Ness: Besides the new ID policy, there really isn’t much I plan on changing, I plan on expanding. Niles West has a lot to offer, and I want to make sure that we are using all of our talents. I really want to see not only students, but staff also identify and learn their strengths throughout the building and continue to improve upon them. So, it’s not really a change, but an improvement.

NWN: Living in Chicago all your life, do you follow our sports teams?

Ness: Of course, I follow them! Yes, since I grew up on the south side of Chicago I am an avid sports fan. I have season tickets to the Bears and Sox. I also enjoy keeping up with the Blackhawks, especially since they won the Stanley Cup this year which was great. I was on vacation during the final game, but I made sure that the TV had a channel so I could watch the game. I also like watching the Bulls. Looking around my office, you can tell I really like baseball though [ as he points to the shelf of baseball figures on his wall].”

NWN: Being such a big sports fan, are you excited for all of the Niles West seasons to start?

Ness: I already was talking to the football coach and told him he is going to have to kick me off the bench because I will be yelling from the side lines at games. I played played football in high school and I really learned a lot from it, and that goes for all sports. Being on a team teaches a student hard work, goal setting, sportsmanship, accountability on teammates, and time management. Students really develop relationships that will last a lifetime while participating on sports teams. I hope to make it to as many home games for all sports as possible.

NWN: What do you enjoy most about meeting students?

Ness: I love getting to know students. I like hearing their stories and how they persisted in their passions. I learn a lot from talking and most importantly listening to students. I try to incorporate these two skills in everything I do. I also really enjoy seeing students evolve with each year they complete. It just amazes me all the possibilities that lie in each student’s future, and how every one of them strives to accomplish and conquer those possibilities.

NWN: If you could describe yourself in one word, what would it be?

Ness:  Contrarian. I don’t mean that in a negative way, I describe myself as this word because I like to look at things in a different light. It’s easy to go along with the flow and never question anything, but I prefer to go against the grain and ask questions. I feel that by looking at things differently, it is easier to find the truth that lies behind the norm. When going against the grain, different solutions and possibilities are found. I like to just put a brake on things and take the time to ask a question, instead of acting on impulse. Life is not black and white and nothing is how it seems. I find a greater appreciation for things when I don’t do what is expected of others, and ask lots of questions.

NWN: What advice do you have for students this year?

Ness: Time is precious. Take advantage of every opportunity that is thrown in your path, and all that Niles West has to offer. Don’t be afraid to try something new, or fail at something. You learn most from your mistakes and then do better the next time you try, whether that be in the classroom, on the field, on stage, or anywhere else. Don’t put limits on your abilities, you may surprise yourself. The best things are earned through hard work and failure.