Holly and Ava Podcast Takeover, Featuring Mr Baum

Behind the Scenes: The Homecoming Committee

[dropcap]I[/dropcap]t’s that time of year again. Homecoming is right around the corner, and everyone is hyped up about it, as usual. Spirit week is coming up with some exciting days this year, and the pep assembly will prove to be another pumped up day. As everyone gets more and more excited about Homecoming, the people who make it all happen are getting busier and busier. Homecoming committee has been doing the job it has always done: preparing for the weekend that everyone hopes for as soon as school starts.

The committee organizes every single aspect of Homecoming, starting with ticket designs, party favors, decorations, and leading all the way to the night of Homecoming dance, which includes more decorations, music, and B96 BOOM. They began preparing in August, as soon as school started, and are not finishing up the last couple details before the big weekend. According to math teacher Kathy Kajmowicz, Homecoming this year will be “colorful, happy, and enjoyable.”

The theme “Under the Big Top” was decided on during a meeting at the end of the last school year. It involves a circus theme that incorporates all the fun and colorful aspects of a circus. The committee this year has been mostly focusing on really making the theme a major part of the dance. The decorations will consist of a large tent in the contest gym, along with the entrances being made to look like circus entrances. In order to really make the circus theme come alive, the committee is working with Boom B96, who has a couple surprises in store in terms of its music and how it will include the circus theme.

“You’re going to feel the theme as you come inside. It’s unique compared to a lot of the things we have done in the past,” seniors Megan Keating and Amanda Rataczyk said.

The theme, just like all themes in the past years, does not require the students to dress according to it. The theme is there to just make it fun and more colorful. Kajmowicz wanted a newer theme this year that shifted away from the formal atmosphere, since Homecoming is anything but formal.

Homecoming committee is a group effort, with everyone handling every aspect that they are passionate about. Each student contributes as much as they can, according to Kajmowicz, which is also another reason why she loves sponsoring the club. Everyone always takes responsibility for what they’re most excited about, whether it’s the tickets, the decorations, the party favors, and so on. Since Homecoming is so early this year, the students have had to work extra harder, so it did get difficult, but they’re hoping to pull through.

Kajmowicz is hopeful that, once again, everyone will enjoy the dance.

“Nobody ever says they hated it. I feel it’ll be great, it won’t be a disaster. It never is,” Kajmowicz said.