Dia de los Muertos Decorations

Dia de los Muertos Decorations

In an effort to honor those who have passed away,  Futuro Latino club is scheduled to host the Niles West Day of the Dead celebration today  from 5:30 – 8:00 p.m in the Literacy Center.

El Dia de los Muertos (the Day of the Dead) is a Mexican celebration to remember loved ones who have passed away. Family members gather at the deceased’s gravesite, bringing flowers and other goods with them.

Futuro Latino Club is bringing a bit of the rituals to Niles West with the typical altars that is set up in honor of the ones who have passed away.

“I’m excited to set up the altar. We will be putting up old photos, candles, and their very favorite foods,” Jose Mancera said.

The altars usually contain a picture of the person that has passed away. Favorite foods and items representing things that the person being honored enjoyed in life are put on the altar as well. Candles are also often included, serving as a strong scent and light to guide the deceased back to earth. A complete model, generalized to all of the participants of the celebration, will be on display in the Literacy Center.

There are some icons that are particular to the celebration, such as sugar skulls and papel picado (decorative paper) that are going to enhance the celebration, making it as colorful and joyous as the el Dia de los Muertos is supposed to be. The Science wing will also be lending some skeletons for the celebration, which will be dressed up festively.

Common foods eaten on the Day of the Dead will also be available, such as pan de muerto (a sweet bread in the shape of skeletal bones or ghosts), coffee, and milk.

“I want to see how many people are going to come, considering that this is the first time we are celebrating the Day of the Dead at school. I’m afraid that we won’t have enough food,” Futuro Latino Club sponsoror Luisa Karimighovanloo said.

Alongside with the tasty food, there will be a number of activities available. Younger children can choose to make masks and other arts and crafts, all full of color. Coloring books will also be available, along with black paper and chalk for them to draw the typical skeleton.

“I’m most looking forward to having the Latino community come together as one big family. That is what Día de los Muertos is all about – to have people you love and people who share the culture to celebrate with,” Crystal Dominguez said.