Love Brings Biology Teacher Across the Pond: Poonam Patel

Her passion is to educate students and anyone she meets. Biology and physical science teacher Poonam Patel believes every person should be proud of who they are and where they come from because with that confidence, a person can accomplish anything.

“As a student, I was not taught to believe in myself the students here at West are,” Patel said. “That’s why I love teaching at Niles West, because of its diversity and push for individuality. When the light bulb went off for me and I discovered my full potential, it was empowering. And that is what I want all of my students, family and friends to realize.”

Born and raised in Northern London, England, Patel moved to America in 2007 when she and her native Chicagoan and Niles West alumni husband got married.

“We were introduced by family and friends. While I lived in England, and him in the states, we dated,” Patel said. “He had a flexible enough schedule that he could travel to see in London a lot. Before I moved here, I had only visited America once. So, when we decided to get married, one of us had to move across the pond, so I did!”

Graduating from Queen Mary’s University of London, Patel majored in biology and originally wanted to go into medicine.

“I just couldn’t do it,” Patel said. “I couldn’t detach myself from the patients and the reality of the job. It was too emotional for me to have a career in medicine.”

Instead, Patel began teaching biology at Niles West in 2009 after moving to America. From 2010 until now, Patel has been teaching biology and physical science for ELL students. She also has a senior homeroom that she gets to spend time with every day.

“We have such a great time during those short ten minutes in homeroom, all because of Ms. Patel. She’s such a chill person with a fun personality and she talks to us as a friend, not a teacher. And that’s what makes her and amazing teacher,” senior Charlotte Collins said.

“It’s an amazing experience seeing my students not only develop science content, but English as a language as well,” Patel said. “To be able to be a part of my students progress from beginning to the end of the school year is just amazing.”

“Patel was my student teacher,” biology and AP environmental science teacher Susan Schram said. “Now I am her mentor and I truly see her passion in teaching biology every day. She really connects with her students and you walk into her room and immediately feel her excitement to teach.”

Soon, Patel was comfortable at West with the new people she became close with. However, the United States is a total change from what she’s used to. Obviously Americans drive on the opposite side of the road than in England, but America’s culture and life is different too.

“American life is so fast paced, it took me a while to get used to it. It’s always one thing after another. In London, everyone was able to just hang out leisurely and not have to worry about rushing off to another event,” Patel said.

Through teaching and meeting new people, Patel incorporates her belief of self pride in everything she does, and more since the last two years after becoming a mother to her two year old daughter.

“Being a mother has really taught me to value self pride, because I want my daughter more than anything to be proud of everything she is and where she comes from,” Patel said.