Choir Students to Perform With Paramore Sunday

Photo courtesy of Paramore and Go Moxie.

After being offered to perform by the Grammy Foundation, a select number of Niles West’s choir students, under the direction of Amy Branahl, will be performing alongside the band, Paramore, at the UIC Pavilion Sunday, Nov. 24.

According to senior and member of choir Rachel Traisman, Paramore partnered with the Grammy foundation in order to allow a high school choir to perform at each concert.

“I’m absolutely elated that our students can perform with Paramore.  They are a very creative band and I think their songs are well crafted.  This is a once in a lifetime performance and I’m so excited to give our students the opportunity to be surrounded with artists that can inspire and to learn from people who are successful in the business,” Branahl said.

The following students will be performing at the event: Armeen Sayani, Caleigh HavansekCourtney Nielsen, Rachel Traisman, Samina Kassam, Melanie Leftakes, Sharon Mathew, Isa Ramirez, Veronika Sostaric, Sherlina Chauhan, Jordan Kerr, Karen Lee, Alysia Cedillo, Sharon Pasia, Daniel Bedoya, Surdeep Chauhan, Joey Retondo, Cameron Broderick, Sebastian Achettu, Richmond Landicho, and Chester Beck.

Traisman is also excited to perform since she is a fan of the band.

“I first started listening to Paramore’s music in middle school. I would listen to their albums on repeat and I regretted missing the opportunity to see them perform live when they came to Chicago,” Traisman said. “It was so exciting to find out that our choir was picked to perform with Paramore on this tour! Not only do we get to see them perform live, but the opportunity to share the stage with a group of that caliber comes once in a lifetime, and I’m so grateful for the chance to participate.”

Senior and choir member Caleigh Havansek is also very excited, and she credits this opportunity to Branahl.

“I’m really excited for this opportunity. It’s amazing that we get to do this. One of the things I love about Mrs. Branahl is that she is always finding ways to give use new experiences, ones that we wouldn’t get at a lot of other high schools. It is also a cool experience to see how the real music industry works. Yeah we get to go see a concert, but we also have to learn a song in a few days and had to clear our schedule to be a part of this, before we even knew what it was. I’m just really grateful, and excited,” Havansek said.

The Grammy Foundation and Paramore will be giving $1000 to the choral program.

Sharon Mathew contributed to this article.