Nominate a Charity for Dance Marathon

Nominate a Charity for Dance Marathon

Applications to nominate a charity for Dance Marathon are now available until Friday, Jan. 24. Nominations for charities can be accepted from students, faculty, and staff.

Last year, the students of Dance Marathon evaluated over 60 nominated charities before selecting CROSO, an organization founded by Niles West alumna, Molly Heineman, that supports Ugandan students who lived on the street but now have completed high school and are hoping to go to university.

For students, nominating a charity that helps kids seems to be the best idea.

“I would support a charity for orphans because those children need more help.” junior Jimmy Sutfin said.

“Homeless people, kids without shelter, or parents who can’t afford things for them. To me the most important charity should be for the kids because they are the future. Without a stable foundation to grow up in, they won’t reach their full potential.” junior Jocelyn Rodriguez said.

For Dance Marathon sponsor Dena Lichterman, having students choose the beneficiary is a great inclusion.

“It’s all students choosing. I think that’s what makes it so unique is that the students get to pick what charity to focus on every year,” Lichterman said.

In 2003, students, faculty, and staff in District 219 created the first annual School Chest program with the purpose of uniting our schools and community to raise awareness, money, and support for a different, student selected charity every year. Since 2003, Dance Marathon efforts have raised over $640,000 for 11 different student selected charities. The philosophy of  Dance Marathon has always been the idea that together we are able to make a larger impact by working together with a common purpose.

Lichterman explains the impact Dance Marathon makes. ”

“We’ve had very small charities where the amount raised could be their budget for five years. With the economy, the government is lowering the amount of money that goes towards non for profit, so every amount counts.” Lichterman said.

Finalists will be interviewed in April by the student executive committee, and the new beneficiary will be announced at the end of the school year. According to Lichterman, it is a prolonged process during which the executives are very professional in choosing.

Please fill out nomination forms through this link or go to www.dm219.org. A full listing of past recipients can be found on the Dance Marathon website as well.