NIU Jazz Band clinic with Donald Harrison and Ron Carter

Due to a family emergency, Mark Printup, the original clinician scheduled to work with the Niles West and Niles North jazz bands will be unable to make the concert tonight. Donald Harrison, a famous New Orleans alto saxophone player, and Ron Carter, the director of the Northern Illinois University’s jazz ensemble will be working with jazz band students from Niles West and Niles North after school today at 3:30 p.m.

The concert will take place 7 p.m. in the auditorium tonight. The Niles North musicians will perform first, followed the West students, and finishing off with the NIU musicians and professionals.

“These clinicians will teach concepts and stylistic approaches of jazz to the students. This allows college students to become trained to be educators, and is a great collaboration to work with professionals as well as college students. This gives students something to connect with,”  fine arts director Jason Brown said.

Students said they would love to attend.

“Yes, I will go because I like jazz and bands. That would be awesome; I would support jazz band,” junior Sammy Seo said.

Junior Austin Bartka agrees.

“I would love to go because there’s a certain freedom that comes with jazz music. I would love to go for once because it would be a great experience,” Bartka said.