Makeup Monday: How To Deal With Dry Lips

Senior Breana Brill saying good-bye to Niles West.

To say the least, winter has been so rough this year. The sub-zero temperatures, piles of snow, and freezing wind are not types of things the human body is prepared to deal with. So what’s the result of all this? Super dry lips.

As gross as it sounds, it’s just the natural way for the body to react if you’re not taking the proper steps to prevent it. Here are three ways you can keep your lips soft and healthy during this horrible season.

1. Vaseline should become your best friend. In my opinion, a regular chapstick is not strong enough for the winter season. Vaseline is heavy duty and if you put it on two times a day (once in the morning and once at night). You’re lips will definitely stay smooth and healthy.

2. Lip Scrubs are also really great because they scrap off all the dry skins that hang out on your lips. You don’t even have to spend a lot of money buying one, here’s a quick DIY recipe using ingredients you have in your house: 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 1/2  teaspoon olive oil, 1/2  teaspoon honey, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract. This yummy lip scrub not only helps to exfoliate your lips, but you can eat it off your lips, too!

3. The worst possible thing you can do with dry lips is… lick them! I know, it sounds super weird but it’s a mistake we all make. The problem with this is that your saliva is counter productive since it dries really fast. This takes out more moisture that was in your lips and in the end, you’re stuck with drier lips. If you’re desperate, and you don’t have any Vaseline or you don’t feel like making a lip scrub, you can use a regular chap stick or even put some butter (non-salted) on your lips. You want the butter to be soft, and if you spread a little on your lips, it’ll be soaked up and your lips will instantly feel better.

This weather is really harsh on our bodies so make sure you’re taking some actions on protecting your body and ensuring you stay in good health during this winter.