Recap: State Of The Union Address

Recap: State Of The Union Address
MCT

President Obama gave his 2014 State of the Union speech on Tuesday night. This speech is given by the president annually and is meant to give a report on the state of the nation and the current national priorities. The main focuses of the speech on Tuesday was the economy and current military operations.

He began saying that everybody America should have equal economic opportunity. He then went into how to improve the economic situation of the middle class. He called for a reform of the over-complicated tax system we have now. Hopefully, the reform could lead to more jobs and higher wages for the working class. He hoped that money gained from a new tax system could be spent on infrastructure. Improvements for things like bridges and schools should become more of a priority.

One thing that people have focused on was Obama’s willingness to use executive power to help move the bureaucratic process along.

During his speech he called for the current federal minimum wage to be raised from $7.25 to $10.10. He also stated he used his executive order to raise the age of all federal workers to $10.10.

“No one working full time should have to raise a family in poverty,” Obama said.

He later went into spending more money on research and how real climate change is.

He went to the education system saying that accessible education for children will lead to future economic opportunities.

He talked briefly on immigration reform in 2014 and on his Affordable Care Act.

He then got into military operations. He stated that all the troops have been removed from Iraq and soon removed from Afghanistan. He talked about how he was very determined to close Guantanamo Bay. Reforming the surveillance systems was also a priority. He then went into US foreign affairs with countries like Syria and Israel.

The speech closed with the message that America is on the road of recovery and that the country will never give up. President Obama’s State of the Union speech highlighted our economic situation and our current military operations.