The Importance of Romeo and Juliet

The Importance of Romeo and Juliet

Niles  West’s latest theatrical performance of Romeo and Juliet began yesterday, Feb. 20.

Most freshman classes read this play in their English classes; therefore, this year, many English classes will attend the play.

“I think it’s a great play just like all of Shakespeare’s plays, but this is a great one to begin with freshmen so they understand the meaning behind it,” freshman English teacher Christy Koulouris said. “There are a lot of themes that are in there; not only love but also betrayal and sacrifice and all of that.”

Freshman English teacher Lia Sosa agrees with Koulouris

“I think the story is perfect for freshmen,” she said. “[The students] are going to be able to see the play before we even have finished Romeo and Juliet. We’ve started it two days ago, so they’ll get some kind of a sneak peak as to what they’re in store for and then we kind of go backwards.”

Freshman Claire Embil who saw the play performed by the Niles West students, beams about how amazing it was.

“I think it was really good,” she said. “I mean I saw it before professionally and I think I like this one better. It wasn’t too over the top or anything. It wasn’t too dramatic either. It was really good. Plus Cameron was in it!”

Unlike Embil, freshman Sedra Khan isn’t a big fan of the Romeo and Juliet story.

“I believe that Romeo and Juliet is an okay story,” she said. “The dialogues are beautiful and the imagery is amazing, but I dislike the fact that it all happened within 72 hours. It’s so irrational. Plus, the whole committing suicide under a misunderstanding was absurd. I feel it’s overrated sometimes. I plan on watching [the play] sometime this week because I want to see it in action and maybe that will change my opinion of the story.”

Sosa has high expectations of the students’ performance of Romeo and Juliet.

“[I expect] it to be amazing,” she said. “Julia is one of my juniors and I know she’s going to be fantastic and Jessie Rosell is one of my most favorite students. Mr. Sinclair always puts on a good show and I think this is going to be no exception to that.”