Tribe Called West Places Second; One Poet Advances to Semi Finals

Niles West’s Poetry Slam team, Tribe Called West, competed on Saturday Mar. 1 at 12:00 p.m. at Columbia College and came second place. Sophomore Amina Dzananovic will advance to the semi finals as a solo performer.

The team competed in their first bout on Friday, Febraury 21st and won second place on that competition as well. Students that performed in the competition were sophomores Yameen Saima, Amina Dzananovic and Thea Gonzales, juniors Rita CarmonaJordan GoldbergStephanie NahhasPaul Ceneac, and Raheel Khawaja. According to slam coach Paul Bellwoar, Dzananovic performed a piece about the Massacre at Srebrnicia.

“Just 5 months ago, I was a girl that wrote on little bits of paper and I honestly never would have thought my life would change this much. I never would have gone this far without my teammates and most importantly, my coach. Slam was one of the best things that have happened to me this year. I’m so proud to represent Niles West and I can’t wait to see what’s in store, whether or not I make it to finals,” Dzananovic said.

Saima said she was nervous but their slam coach helped her.

“We got straight tens for our group piece, with me, Amina Dzananovic, Rita Carmona, and Thea Gonzalez. I wasn’t nervous when I went up to perform with them, but when it was time for my solo peice I was so nervous, but our slam coach, Mr. Bellwoar told me that no matter what, he will always be proud of us and it didn’t matter if we won or not, just the fact that we went up there and performed made him proud,” Saima said.

Saima and Dzananovic are thankful to all those who helped them along the way.

“I really appreciate the help from all the former slam teamers, who are now our Slam coaches,” Saima said.

“A special shout-out to Aris, Ainee, Rossie, Noor, and Fil for being my best and worst critics, I’m so grateful for each and every one of them,” Dzananovic said.

Dzananovic will perform her piece on Saturday March 8 at 7:00 pm at Metro.