Actions Speak Louder Than Words: National Day of Silence

Actions+Speak+Louder+Than+Words%3A+National+Day+of+Silence+

Niles West will be participating in the National Day of Silence on Friday, Apr. 11 in order to bring attention to, and protest, the anti-LGBTQ harassment and bullying that takes place throughout schools and communities.

The Day of Silence is a vow of silence taken by many students throughout the country. Students who participate do not speak during the school day, unless they have to for academic purposes. Students can sign up in the morning before classes start; there will be sign-up tables from West’s Gay-Straight Alliance Club near all school entrances. Through this event, students can show that Niles West is a tolerant community where nobody can be discriminated against.

“As a peer mediator, we don’t stand for bullying. People should take a stand against it because enough is enough. What are you gaining from harassing these people who are just trying to live their lives? If you think you’re more powerful by being straight, then you have a very skewed version of reality,” senior Sharon Mathew said.

Media specialist Sherry Baehr also believes that this day allows students to feel supported in their struggles.

“I think it’s important for us to acknowledge it’s difficult for LGBTQ in high school. LGTBQ kids feel supported [through this day] and it makes them aware that it’s not appropriate to be bullied and that students are aware of their struggles,” Baehr said.