A Trip across the Globe: Migi Park

Sophomore Migi Park
Sophomore Migi Park

A six-year- old girl clings to her stuffed rabbit and her mother’s hand as the plane finally descends. It’s a fresh start, a new beginning, a clean slate.

It’s 2004 and current sophomore Migi Park is leaving Korea with her family for a new start in the United States.

“Since I was younger, it was easier for me to adjust to the new change of scene,” Park said. “My mom wanted me to study English and it’s better to learn it here than Korea.”

In Korea, many of the schools require to wear a uniform and the school hours are longer, ending as late as 10 p.m. There are no honors or AP courses. Instead, students go at the same pace. Korean students don’t switch from class to class because it’s the teachers who do.

“The students stay in the same classroom throughout the whole day,” Park said.

“I wanted to provide my daughters a better education and more freedom,” mother Julie Park said. “I want what’s best for them and I know that I made the right decision.”

Migi’s sister, Jennifer, agrees.

“I don’t remember much considering I was three, but I do know that my mom’s decision was based on our well-being. We live a good life here, so I can’t complain,” she said.

When arriving in America, Park took into account the differences between the cultures.

“Here there’s so much more diversity in the people, the food, and the language. The school systems are different in Korea and there’s a lot less transportation over there. People walk more to places,” Park said.

Park described Korea to be a bit like New York City. People can hang out late and there’s a lot of entertainment provided. Some stores are open late (closing at midnight or 1 a.m.) and karaoke places nearly everywhere (open 24/7).

“I miss home. Back where I was born, there were more beaches and I lived more in the countryside of Sokcho. I left my cousins and most of my family from either of my parents side,” Park said. “I plan on visiting my family again over Spring Break and I’m really looking forward to it.”

Currently, Park participates in WHO Club, Relay for Life , and orchestra.

“I plan on joining a few other clubs and maybe a sport. Right now, I want to focus on my studies,” Park said. “Going to West proves how different my two worlds are. I guess you could say I’m just blessed to be a part of two cultures.”