Holly and Ava Podcast Takeover, Featuring Mr Baum

Homecoming Court Q&A

Homecoming Court Q&A

The NWN sat down with the 2014 homecoming court Jordyn Glotzer, Sherlina Chauhan, Katherine DeLara, ChiChi Osuji, Veronika Sostaric, Jeremy Pignato, Tommy Galanopoulos, George Tripkos, Andre Eramia, and Mike Wheeler for Q&A to get to know them a bit and find out why they’re running for homecoming king or queen!

NWN: Why did you decide to run for homecoming king or queen? And why do you want to win?

Jordyn Glotzer

Jordyn: I decided to run for homecoming queen because my mom was homecoming queen when she was a senior and my brother won prom king his senior year when his group of friends had their own prom. It has always been something I wanted to do since I was a freshman, I thought I would be candidate because I’m involved in a lot around the school and as one of the leaders on my cheer team I feel like it’s a privilege to be a representative of not only my cheer team, but my senior class. I want to win because it’s tradition in my family and I think I would be a great role model to all the under class men.

Sherlina: I think I’m a good representation of the population of awesome people at Niles West.

Katherine: I decided to run because it seems like a really fun experience. My friends encouraged me to do it, and it’ll be something I’ll remember for the rest of my life.

ChiChi: I decided to run because I want to try something different for a change. I’d like to win because it’d be a good experience.

Veronika: I decided to run for homecoming queen because I am trying to make the most of senior year. I do not want to have any regrets when I leave! Also, winning would be such an honor because I would be representing Niles West.

Jeremy: I decided to run for king because it’s my senior year and I wanted a way for people to remember me in a different type of way, and that way was to become homecoming king.

Jeremy Pignato
Jeremy Pignato

Tommy: I’m running because when my mom was in high school she was homecoming queen. I think it would be really cool to follow in her footsteps, and I want to be a good role model to underclassmen.

George: Niles West has been good to me for the past four years, and I take great pride in my school. What I really want to do is take the pride to the next level, and what better way to do that than as homecoming king?

Andre: I decided because it’s another way for me to express my leadership in this school. Being a wolf at the end of the day and representing the school is important to me. I want to win because the summer going into my freshman year, I told my brother one of my goals was to be Homecoming King.

Mike: Because ever since I was a freshman, I thought homecoming was awesome. I think that I want to win because it’s good to put on college applications and it would be one of my greatest accomplishments of my high school year.

NWN: What extra-curricular activities are you involved with at West?

Jordyn: I have been on varsity cheerleading for four years. I was in dance marathon freshman year and I also played soccer. I was in wolf pack last year. I also joined homecoming committee this year.

Sherlina Chauhan
Sherlina Chauhan

Sherlina: Theater, Relay for Life, CEC, National Honor Society, Book Club, Hebrew Club, H2O, and Spanish Honor Society.

Katherine: I’m captain of the cross country team. I play basketball, and I run track. I’m also in Orchestra. I tutor in the Lit Center, and I’m a member of National Honor Society.

ChiChi: Soccer, Futuro Latino, Black Student Union, Sports Medicine Club, and I’m the varsity boys’ basketball manager.

Veronika: This year I am in the a cappella group “Guys & Dolls”, I am the choir board president, I am a member of National Honor Society, I just became a member of the CEC Club, and I am also a member of German Honor Society.

Jeremy: I’m involved with the football, baseball, and indoor track team.

Tommy: Last year I played quarterback, and ran indoor and outdoor track during the off season.

George: Football, Wrestling, DECA, National Honor Society, and Spanish Honor Society.

George Tripkos
George Tripkos

Andre: Theater, peer leaders, P.E. leaders, the mentoring program, Spanish Honors Society, National Honors Society, Thespian Honors Society, and I’m the president of thespian society.

Mike: German club, varsity volleyball, I am the manager of girls varsity volleyball, I want to join W.H.O. club, and I’m in leadership council.

NWN: How do you want to make your last year in high school memorable?

Jordyn: I want to be involved in as much as I can! I want to take every last minute of high school in before it’s over. I will be going to every sports game and theater production. I also just want to spend time with my close friends, because that’s where most of my memories are made with the people that have been with me through thick and thin.

Sherlina: By staying involved and taking chances. I want to do stuff I never even thought I’d do.

Katherine DeLara
Katherine DeLara

Katherine: I want to make my last year memorable by working hard in school and athletics. To succeed academically while at the same time doing work in my sports would be the best way to end my high school career.

ChiChi: By trying everything I haven’t tried before, and making the best out of everything I do.

Veronika: I want to make my last year of high school memorable by taking all the opportunities the school offers and making memories with my peers who I might never see again after high school. I also want to leave a positive lasting impression on the school.

Jeremy: I want to make this last year memorable by having it be my best year at West from athletics to the classroom.

Tommy: Hopefully having the best season the school has seen out of football, and to enjoy everyday with my

Tommy Galanopoulos
Tommy Galanopoulos

teammates and friends, because we only have so many days left in school together.

George: Make friendships that’ll last a lifetime, get wild for spirit weeks, and beat North.

Andre: By making the most of every moment that comes my way, staying away from drama, not being mad at people, attending all events at school, and being involved in Dance Marathon. I don’t want to have any regrets.

Mike: I want to not have any hesitation with what I want to do. I want to make it as fun as possible for everyone. It’s our last year together, we should enjoy it.

NWN: What are your future plans? What colleges, if any, are you thinking about?

Jordyn: My plans are to go away for school and get a degree in pharmacy! Don’t let the blonde hair fool ya! I’m a pretty great chemist! But I have applied to three schools so far: University of Iowa, Mizzou, and University of Alabama.

Sherlina: I want to go to Northwestern, and go into the medical field. Maybe become a surgeon, but it’s not dead set or anything.

Katherine: I plan on going to a university and studying physical therapy. My top choice is Marquette, but if I can get into colleges out in Colorado or Hawaii, that would be the dream.

ChiChi Osuji
ChiChi Osuji

ChiChi: I plan on going to college to be a nurse or accountant, then I want to go to grad school for law. My top choices are Loyola, DePaul, Elmhurst, ISU, UIUC, and UIC.

Veronika: I am planning to major in Music Therapy. The schools I am applying to as of now are Colorado State University, Ohio University, Florida State University, and the University of Iowa.

Jeremy: I’m not sure about my future plans. I still have the rest of my life to figure that out, but I want to be a gym teacher. The colleges I’m looking at are Northern Michigan and Dubuque Iowa.

Tommy: My hope is to continue playing college football at the highest level I can and get a good education. My dream school to go to would be Ohio State. They’re my favorite football team and it would be cool to go to a big ten school for the next four years of my life.

George: Trying to get into the best business schools I can and take it from there. I dream of being a Wolverine one day #Michigan.

Andre: I’m thinking of Northwestern and DePaul. I want to apply to their business programs and hopefully from there

Andre Eramia
Andre Eramia

studying accounting. Then after college I want to find a job in California.

Mike: University of Tampa is where I really want to go. I want to study criminology and criminal justice. After college, I want to get a successful job and live in California.

NWN:If you could have one super power what would it be and why?

Jordyn: If I could have one super power it would be superior intellect, because it would give me an amazing mind that could somewhat give me other super powers. I could change my molecular structure using advanced science and math. I could build weapons and machines that could enable me to fly, lift heavy objects, move super-fast, etc. It would be all the super powers in one. I could also solve all the world’s problems, so not only am I a warrior with super powers, but I’m a diplomat and peacemaker who can save the world. I’d get a full ride scholarship to college.

Sherlina: To keep eating all the food without getting as full as fast, and without gaining weight. I’d want to also telepathically be able to bring any food to me.

Katherine: If I could have one superpower, I’d want to fly. Flying makes it so much easier to get to people who need help! Not only that, but it’s just fun and I’d be able to travel the world, which is one of my goals in life.

ChiChi: Persuasion, because I could persuade people with anything I want.

Veronika Sostaric
Veronika Sostaric

Veronika:  If I could have one super power it would be the ability to spread positive energy to anyone at any time!

Jeremy: If I had one super power, it would be to be able to fly because I can get from point A to point B without running into traffic, and I’d be able to see views that normal people would not be able to see.

Tommy: If I had to choose any super power, it would be super strength. It would help me out in football a lot, and I would feel like I have all the power in the world.

George: Mind reading. Being able to know someone’s true thoughts would be so beneficial. Imagine always being one step ahead of everyone. The possibilities are endless.

Andre: My superpower would be to teleport because I want to get places quickly. This might sound morbid, but if someone would be passing away, I would want to be there. Also getting to travel from one country to another, it would be really cool.

Mike: To fly because I’m really busy and driving is tedious, so getting where I need to go would be easier. Also it’s fun.

Mike Wheeler
Mike Wheeler

NWN: What are you most excited for for Spirit Week?

Jordyn: I am definitely excited to dress up during the week! That’s the best part about homecoming week! But I’m also excited to perform, to show the whole school what my cheer team has been working so hard at!

Sherlina: Country Western Day, because I’ve never really done that. Also, super hero day because I’m excited to see what people come up with.

Katherine: I’m most excited for the spirit days. I can’t wait to see who goes all out in dressing up.

ChiChi: To finally be a part of the senior red out, because I’ve always been excited for it.

Veronika: I am most excited for the spirit days because as seniors I know our class will go all out. It will be fun to see how everyone shows their spirit, and it will be nice to see our class come together.

Jeremy: The thing that I am most excited for Spirit Week is the football game, because it’s my last homecoming game for high school ever and I love football, so it would mean a lot to me if we were able to win the game and be voted king for homecoming.

Tommy: I’m excited for the pep assembly, it’s a really exciting time to bring the school together, and to hopefully to get everyone excited about the game and dance.

George: THE HOMECOMING GAME. It is the epitome of high school. Looking up at those stands makes you realize how awesome Niles West really is. It’s the most spirit you’ll get to see at once, especially when the band, student section, cheerleaders, and poms all come together..and when we’re winning of course.

Andre: I’m excited for the Homecoming game and go all out on the spirit days. It’s my last year so YOLO.

Mike: I love homecoming week, just the energy and the anticipation, dressing up and it has been a really fun experience. I don’t know any other school that does spirit week like Niles West does. We go all out.