From @D219 to @NilesK12: The New Email

During the summer students may have noticed a change in their emails from @d219 to @nilesk12.

Last year it was announced to students, but still many seemed frustrated by the change.

“I personally did not like the new email because I was so used to the @d219 account. It seemed like a random transition at a random time and it took me a while to figure it out and get used to it,” Junior Eleni Balourdos said.

“Student emails were changed because of the Classrooms First Consolidation, which began with District 69 and has now expanded to District 67. Students will have the same email address from kindergarten through 12th grade with access to Google Apps and an electronic portfolio that will move and adapt with them as they transition from elementary to middle to high school. There are no other email changes on the horizon. This change was intended to combine District 219 and consolidation participants’ resources to eliminate redundancies and further align the sender school districts’ educational philosophy to that of the high school district,” Chief Technology Officer Guy Ballard said.

While some students disliked the change, others thought it was a good idea.
“I think it’s a good idea they’re changing it, because change it always good, but at the same time it’s really confusing because they did it in the middle of the summer and not many students, if all any knew about it, I know I didn’t. Soon everyone will get the ropes down and understand it, if they haven’t already, and it’ll be a lot easier,” Junior Maeve McCaffrey said.

Ballard advises all students to use their school email for academic purposes only. Linking their school email to other resources may violate the AUP (6:235-AP1). Students should update their non-academic accounts with a personal email address and not their school-provided one.