“How Shoes Bought My Dream Car”: Massi Vera

There are two types of people in the world. There are people who work hard for what they want and there are people who just have things handed to them. Senior Massi Vera had to work hard to get what he’s wanted every since he was ten years old: his dream car.

Vera’s dream was to get a Mustang which can cost up to $20,000, which is not an easy feat for the average high school student. 

“I fell in love with the coupe body style and I really liked how fast they were, especially the Shelbys,” Vera said.

Like most kids, Vera’s parents weren’t just going to hand him over a brand new car. They wanted him to learn the value of hard work. Vera’s dream started to look impossible everyday, when suddenly, a friend came up with an idea — sell shoes.

“I was looking for a way to make money and one of my friends suggested it to me. Once I sold my first pair I fell in love with making money and started buying a lot of shoes then selling them,” said Vera.

Vera would buy high quality shoes such as Jordans, Nikes, and Adidas. Once Vera bought the shoes he would post a picture in the Facebook group, and people would comment or message him if they were interested. He would sell it to them for a higher price.

A lot of effort went into the seemingly easy task. Vera would constantly have to keep updated on a Facebook group called KREAM, which is where Vera did most of his buying and selling. Everyday people would contact Vera through Facebook about his shoes.

“From KREAM I found more Facebook groups like ones from New York and I would sell the shoes through Paypal and have them shipped,” Vera said.

Vera knew it wasn’t going to be fast or easy to make enough money for his dream car. He bought and sold shoes for nearly two years until he had enough money. Later on, Vera sold all his shoes in one night on KREAM. His two years of work finally paid off when he got his 2012 Mustang.

“With this experience I learned that hard work eventually pays off, and now I truly understand the value of a dollar,” Vera said.