Author Ellen Hopkins Visits West

Author Ellen Hopkins,  the author of the Crank series, came to Niles West on Monday, Nov. 16. She was in the auditorium during periods 7, 8, and 9.

Students that did not attend with a class could go during a free or lunch period, or during an academic class with a signed field trip form.

Hopkins’ book are popular at Niles West, although they have been banned multiple time because her novels tend to have mature subject matter, such as prostitution, sexual abuse, child abuse, and drug addiction.

Many students enjoy how intriguing yet simple her books are.

“I’m that person that isn’t big with books but I loved her series Crank. I also love how her books are in poem format which made it easy for me to read the whole book in just a week,” senior Hannah Trail said.

Students were excited to meet such a strong author.

“After reading one of her novels in 7th grade and now hearing that she is coming to West makes me remember how good of an author she is and I can’t wait to see her,” junior Michael Hyman said.

The visit was a huge hit among students.

“We had over 350 students who attended the talks Ellen Hopkins gave over the course of the day. Before her talks she came in early and had a luncheon with ten students who won a raffle,” media specialist Sherry Baehr said. “We sold her books and Hopkins personalized all of them and signed every book we have.”