Environmental Service Day to be Held Saturday

The fifth annual environmental service day will take place Saturday, Oct. 17 from 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The sites for restoration work this year are Blue Star Memorial Woods, Indian Road Woods, and Watersmeet Prairie Grove, which are all apart of the North Branch Restoration Project.

Volunteers are to meet by 8:00 a.m. in the south lobby for registration and a continental breakfast. During the volunteer hours, you  may choose light physical activity such as collecting seeds, or cutting invasive brush, which is considered moderate physical activity.

The event is run in hopes people will come out to support their community.

“I have personally been doing natural areas restoration work in the Forest Preserves for 8 years.  It has been a life-changing experience for me.  I have learned so much and met so many great people.  I wanted to share this opportunity with others, which is why I started the NARWHALS Ecology Club 7 years ago, and the Environmental Service Day 5 years ago.  This event is a way for anyone in the community to get outside, get active, and give back to their community,” science teacher Thomas Jodelka said.

Anyone who is interested in volunteering to make a difference whether you are apart of  student body, apart of staff, or apart of the community can register HERE . If you are a student, you must complete a waiver and a permission slip HERE. Any non-219 member under 18 must be assisted with an adult.