Cubs Shutout Pirates to Claim The NL Wildcard Game

TNS
Chicago Cubs starting pitcher Jake Arrieta delivers to the Milwaukee Brewers during the first inning on Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2015, at Wrigley Field in Chicago. (Chris Sweda/Chicago Tribune/TNS)

The Chicago Cubs have been ripped on for years. They have been calling the Cubs the “Lovable Losers,” and fans yelling, “100 more years,” etc. This year, the Cubs have the most potential I have ever seen. The Cubbies have multiple players that are in favor of awards this season. Jake Arrieta, the man, the myth, the legend, shutout the Pirates last night in a single elimination playoff game. Arrieta has had an impeccable season posting a league high 22 wins this season. After his performance at the Wild Card game, he is a prime candidate for the NL Cy Young. In addition, Kris Bryant is looking to win NL Rookie of The Year as he has put up 26 homeruns and 99 RBIs. The most out of every rookie in the MLB.

Just to recap last night’s game, the Chicago Cubs dominated the Pittsburgh Pirates 4-0. Arrieta threw 9 scoreless innings, had 11 strikouts, and gave up only four hits. Kyle Schwarber and Dexter Fowler each hit two-run homeruns to edge the Pirates. Also, after Arrieta was hit by a pitch while batting, the Cubs dugout cleared, and brawled with the Pirates dugout defending Arrieta. This brawl led to several ejections on both sides. Both teams had their chances, but the Pirates could not put a point on the board despite having the bases juiced with one out in the 6th inning.

The Cubs are a young, talented and exciting group to follow this year. It is a nice change to see our Cubbies winning postseason games and pumping everyone up for the upcoming NLDS game against the St. Louis Cardinals.

Nobody expected this year’s team to go as far as they did, but manager Joe Madden has brought the best out of this young roster and has everyone playing at the top of their game where it counts most.

There is so much good baseball to look forward to. The Cubs kick off the series at Busch stadium on Friday at 5:30 pm. Make sure to tune in and root your hometown heroes.

Even “Back to The Future” claims this is the year that the Chicago Cubs take the World Series. As long as the Cubs hitter’s support our pitchers with a few runs, we very well may see the Cubs getting deeper into the postseason. It has been over a century since a World Series victory. This needs to change. Let’s make history!

AS&T teacher Richard Kolze said, “We have been waiting a long time for a team that can finally win the World Series. I’m looking forward to the next 10 years of World Series Wins.”

Imaged used with permission from MCT Campus. Chicago Cubs starting pitcher Jake Arrieta delivers to the Milwaukee Brewers during the first inning on Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2015, at Wrigley Field in Chicago. (Chris Sweda/Chicago Tribune/TNS)