Activities Fair Right Around The Corner

Niles West will host the Activities Fair to introduce the wide variety of clubs that are offered at West to the freshman class. Students have a chance to sign up for clubs that they are interested in and gain more information about them. The activity fair will be held Monday, August 29 through Friday, September 2 outside the cafe during all lunch periods.

Getting involved with extracurricular activities can be beneficial to students both academically and socially.

“Studies show that students do better academically when they are involved in an extracurricular activity. Also, it’s a great way to meet friends and participate in something that you normally wouldn’t be able to otherwise,” student activities director Katie Odell said.

Seeing the clubs Niles West has to offer all at once is helpful to students.

I like how activities week helps me see many clubs all at the same time. It’s amazing how many there are,” senior Weronika Jozwiak said.

Students feel that joining a club puts you in a more fun and enjoyable environment, though there can be disadvantages. 

“Joining a club that interests you can make your school life more enjoyable. I joined Chemistry Club and it was nice to be in an environment where I’m exposed to the fun aspects of chemistry, go on field trips, and learn about possible jobs,” senior Saba Shalwani said. “The [downside] to joining clubs is that many times, there aren’t enough activities planned and you may just be sitting around for 30 minutes to an hour after school with not much to do.”

Niles West is host to 95 clubs, but due to availability issues, not all clubs will have someone in attendance.

“If a student is interested in a club that is not in attendance, all a student needs to do is show up to a meeting. No need to sign up ahead of time. All clubs can be found on our website,” Odell said.