Football Program to Honor Military Members and First Responders

The Niles West football program will be honoring military members and first responders in order to thank them for their service. This event will be held on the football field during the varsity boys football game against Elk Grove on Friday, Sept. 16 at 7 p.m.

This decision to create and host this event was made over the summer, and was about more than just football.

“[The decision to honor them] kinda was a group thing over the summer,” coach Scott Baum said. “We try to talk about football and being able to play, and how cool it is that get to do this, and we always thank our parents. And I know in the back of our minds, the couple of us coaches [were thinking about] the 15th anniversary of 9/11.  So it was kind of a group thing, and all of a sudden we came up with saying hey, why don’t we pick a game and honor them, and that’s kind of what we did.”

People are very fortunate to go to Niles West and to live in this community, but not everyone has the same benefits, so it’s important to think of others as well.

“I think we’re very fortunate here at Niles West and this community we live in,” Baum said, “and we take a lot of things for granted. As I said, we’re very fortunate; we have a lot things that are done for us. And I know a lot of parents work hard to give [us] this lifestyle, and we always talk about that — thank your parents. And again, I just think it’s important to think of more people than just the people at home and [more about] people we don’t get to see all the time.

“It’s a tough time for first responders and military people,” Baum continued, “so it’s a lot of strain in their family, and their families might not get to enjoy the same things our families do, so that was kind of the mindset behind this.”

Military members put their lives on the line in order for us to have freedom, so honoring them is important.

“I think it is a great idea anytime someone or some organization decides to honor those who, on a daily basis, put their lives in harm’s way for the safety and freedom of others,” assistant principal and army veteran Mark Rigby said. “I am honored to be a part of Niles West, and happy that so many here support our soldiers and first responders.”

The military members and first responders will be honored at halftime.

“At halftime, they’re gonna come [out] and we’re just gonna introduce them and have a little reading about our thanks for them and what they do, and that we appreciate it and it gives us the opportunity to do what we do. And they’re gonna come out during halftime, and I think Mr. Johnson’s got a little surprise [for them from] the band with some music and announcements, and that’s kind of it,” Baum said.